Ugly Scar After Breast Augmentation

7 weeks ago I had my breast augmentation surgery and my scar on the left breast (only left) totally disfigured my breast. Is there any chance to improve the scar and have a normal breast again ? My doctor says I should wait for 1 year, but there is very little chance the scar will look nice.There is nothing he can do now to improve it. Has anyone seen a scar like that and can recommend something to me ? I'm in desparate situation and I cry every time when I look at my scar.

Bad scar after breast augment

+4

For now I would suggest that you do everything possible to help this scar heal as quickly and as well as possible:

• Scar massage with Mederma or another scar cream twice daily
  • Avoid sun or UV exposure on the scar while it is healing

I would not suggest surgical revision until the scar has had more time to mature. Every patient is different, but this will take between 3 to 12 months after surgery.

Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Scar revision after breast augmentation

+3

Waiting some time before performing a scar revision is reasonable.  That period of time depends on any other events that may have occurred during your healing process.  If there have been no other healing issues such as infection, then a scar revision can be performed in 1-2 months.  This period of time will allow some settling of your implants (which appear to be in a good position).  The scar revision can likely be performed in the office under local anesthesia.  

Naveen Setty, MD

Depressed and Prominent Scar after Breast Implants

+3

Hi Katherine36

I'm obviously very sorry about the way the scar on the left breast has healed.  It looks like it's otherwise a very nice result.  I'm interested as to why this might have happened; did you have bleeding or a local infection post-operatively?  Were there any obvious problems with the way the left breast healed?

Those, however, are just academic questions.  I think there is a very good chance you can get a better appearance but I agree with not rushing into it.  (That's even more important if you had some kind of complication that caused this problem).  It takes a while for the tissues involved to stretch out a bit and become easier to work with.  It may not have to be exactly a year, but I think at least six months is reasonable.

At that point, the procedure itself is not necessarily too complicated; you need to have the existing scar removed and the remaining tissues reapproximated (put back together) as precisely as possible.  I think you'll wind up with a very nice result, although it is hard to guarantee that.  Unfortunately, there are also always potential risks when you go back and do anything to the tissues over and around a breast implant.  You will hopefully be able to have this done without any exposure or problems related to your implant, but you should talk to your PS in advance about this, as well as any other concerns you have.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

Early scar revision after breast augmentation.

+2

It appears that the closure was done poorly in your case. The different levels of the tissue should be brought together in layers to allow for proper healing without indentation. Although this will improve some, the defect is substantial. Waiting 3-6 months is appropriate, however I recommend seeking a second opinion if your surgeon is unwilling to repair before 1 year.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation scarring

+2

There is not enough detailed information in your post to answer the question posed. Did you have any infection? Did the suture line come apart? Is the implant under or above the muscle? It is obvious that the skin scar has attached itself to deeper layers of tissue and that is causing it to indent and distort the nipple complex. From the photo alone we cannot tell if there has been any loss of areola tissue. It is obvious that a revision is required to separate the different layers of tissue. The question is when is the best time to do that. If you ask 10 different surgeons you will get 10 different answers. Clearly if the suture line came apart or was infected etc. you will have to wait longer. If the problem is only due to mis-placement of some sutures the surgery could be done tomorrow.

Aaron Stone, MD

Unsightly scar

+2

For the immediate time being, I believe you should give the process of healing sometime, at least 1 more month.  By that time, a good capsule will be formed around your implant.  This will allow a more superficial rearrangement of your tissues through release of your scar to improve it.  Good luck.

Vishnu Rumalla, MD

Treatment of poor scars after breast augmentation

+2

Patients infrequently have unsightly scars after breast augmentation.  Most poor scars will usually improve during the first year after surgery.  The body remodels scars which tends to make them less red, softer, flatter, and more difficult to see.  It is generally best to wait a minimum of one year before undergoing a scar revision.  However, in some severe cases, an early scar revision is appropriate.  You might consider asking your surgeon to refer you to one or two local board certified plastic surgeons to get their input.  In the meantime, some non-surgical methods that may improve your scar include aggressive scar massage, and silicone sheeting.

Kelly Gallego, MD, FACS
Yuba City Plastic Surgeon

Solving an ugly scar after breast augmentation

+2

The scar on the breast which has caused the nipple to retract down is simply poorly done. The surgeon caught the tissue below the nipple with the suture and pulled it under. The closure can be opened and repaired with a much better result. Your surgeon is right in that often the closure will flatten over time, but it is rather inconsiderate to make you wait.

peterejohnsonmd

#breastaugmentation, #beauty, #breastsurgery, #scar, BBA

+2

Dear Katherine36 in The Netherlands,

Thank you for your question.  It appears that the wound on the left breast is retracted- this may be due to the closing technique or because the tissue  and shape of the left breast is different from the right breast.  At this time massage of the would is most important- this will lessen the retraction and help relax the scar tissue.  Please follow up with you surgeon.  It would not be unreasonable to reassess and possibly revise the closure at the 3 month post surgery mark- release the scar tissue and help the skin/tissue of the breast to relax so the implant helps shape the lower portion of the breast.

With Warm Regards,

Trevor M Born MD

Trevor M. Born, MD

Consider a scar revision

+1

Every person heals differently and will improve over the next 3 to 6 months.  If your scars have widened then you may want to consider a scar revision.    Some patients require up to one year to fully mature.  A nice scar starts in the operation room. The incision must be placed in the right position, sutured keeping the tension off of the skin itself.  Also it has been show that keeping the incision taped for the first three weeks keeps some of the early tension off of the scar.  Then from the end of the third week to the end of the third month it helps to use a topical product with silicone.