What is a Typical Smart Lipo Recovery?

I'm considering Smart lipo for some contouring of my tummy and flanks, but first I want to know what I can expect from the recovery period. What kind of downtime is involved? How long will I need to take off work? Will I need someone to take care of me? What should I expect in terms of swelling and/or bruising?

Thanks.

Depends on who does your procedure and if they are doing true tumescent liposuction or not

+2

The Smart Lipo part of the liposuction is only one, tiny aspect of the entire procedure. Unfortunately, it gets way more attention than it truly deserves, and I do the SmartLipo method, so I am not biased against it. The most important aspect in my opinion is what surrounds that 10 minute part of a 4 hour procedure if done right - and that affects your recovery time and pain significantly!

If you have the true tumescent liposuction done with it, you can go back to work two days after your surgery (or less if you don't mind wearing a jogging suit to work the day after surgery). Really!

Additionally, if you don't want bruising and pain, you want to find out if they are doing true tumescent. If the answer for any of these questions is that they have longer recovery or bruising ability, then you ought to consider going elsewhere.

Usually, dermatologists are the ones who do the tumescent method, while others claim to do it, but don't. Good luck on your surgery!

Omaha Dermatologist

Very short recovery

+1

Liposuction may look traumatic, but the recovery is very short. All of my SmartLipo and traditional lipo patients walk one mile a day starting the day after surgery! You can exercise and workout as soon as you want. There is nothing that you can do to hurt yourself or alter the cosmetic result. Most patients wear a compression garment for about 3 weeks. Swelling is usually completely resolved in about 3 months. SmartLipo patients may see skin tightening for about 6 months.

Richard L. Dolsky, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Smart Lipo recovery

+1

Most patients need about 2 to 3 days for post operative recovery. You will be swollen and a little sore for the next few weeks but nothing that will interfere with your daily activities. You can start working out again a week post surgery but remember to ease your way into your work out. Don’t overdue it, listen to your body.

Bruce E. Katz, MD

Liposuction recovery

+1

All liposuction whether it is with a laser or ultrasound, or power assisted, or traditional have similar recoveries. Perhaps I would say laser may be longer becuase of the heat component. Usually patients get back to normal activity within a few days to a week.

Typical Smart Lipo recovery

+1

As a National instructor I recommend 3 to 5 days but some return to work in a little as 2 days. You will need transportation and a few hours of post operative care. As for swelling + bruising 70% have minimal to moderate amounts while 30% get the normal lipo edema.

Regards from MIAMI Dr. B

Recovery from laser lipolysis

+1

Recovery and time off of work is typically 3-5 days for the immediate post-operative period. You should refrain from any exercise for 2 weeks and strenous activity for 6 weeks. You will likely be asked to wear some sort of compression garment for a minimum of 3 weeks. You will likeley need somebody to take care of you for a day or two. Brusing varies tremedously.