What Is Considered Typical Muscle Separation?

Just wondering how muscle seperation is typical in a tummy tuck patient who has given birth more than once? Just came from my 6 week check up and finally remembered to ask him how much seperation I had and he said it was 8 cm of seperation. I'm no plastic surgeon of course, so that sounded like a big seperation and makes even more sense that I've been so dang sore since surgery! :)

Diastasis measurement

+1

Most patients have a diastasis that is perhaps 1 or 2 fingerbreadths wide.  Occasionally, we see a little more.  8 cm would be pretty impressive!

The 8 cm (approx 3 inch) number you heard probably has to do with the placement of the sutures, rather than the actual diastasis.  Some surgeons like to throw in a little extra tightening!

Typical muscle separation after pregnancy

+1

The muscle separation after pregnancy, a diastasis, is a natural stretch in the fascia which is the covering of the muscles, and typically the separation is 1 to 4 cm. in width. Your surgeon may have spaced the plication sutures out to 8 cm. It is probably not the true width of the separation.

Web reference: http://www.peterejohnsonmd.com/tummy-tuck

It varies from 0 - 10 cm or so

+1

Diastasis varies quite a bit between patients. Then again your surgeon might have been referring to his correction as opposed to the actual spacing. Ask him.

Best Regards,

John Di Saia MD

Orange Plastic Surgeon