Is It Typical to Have a Bad Headache After a Coronal Brow Lift?

if so, how long can it be expected to last, and what can be done for it? are sutures preferred over staples for this kind of lift? if so, what are the advantages or disadvantages?

Is it typical to get a headache after a brow lift?

+2

Unfortunately the brow lift causes a headache for about 24 hours.I usally tell my patients that the brow lift is going to heart more that the face lift. Pain medication would control the pain and I must say that the degree of pain is dependent on patients as some complain of very little pain. 

Morristown Plastic Surgeon

Headache after coronal forehead lift

+2

It is common to have headache for a few days after coronal forehead lift. It is likely due to 1. transaction of the supraorbital (sensory ) nerve (causing numbness of the top of the head for several months, 2. tightening the muscles and skin and 3. general manipulation of the forehead tissues. Nevertheless, it is easily controlled by mild analgesics.

Andrew Pichler, MD
Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bad Headache after Caornal Brow Lift

+2

Headaches after a coronal brow lift are unusual, but can occur and last for 24-48 hours. Pain can be controlled with normal post-op medication. I have used staples to close the top layer of the skin for 35 years. They are less irritating to the skin and therefore the incisions heal better than using sutures. There is not more pain with the staples.

+2

Yes, you might get a bit of a headache after a Coronal Brow Lift but this isn't always the case at all.  I believe the headache comes from the dissection over the temporalis muscle in the temples.  Oral pain medication typically helps this and the headache is usually just the first night post-op IMHO.  Sutures are preferred, as they give a much nicer scar than staples..which I quit using over 15 years ago.

Headache after Brow Lifts

+2

Headaches are not uncommon following a coronal brow lift or even an endoscopic brow lift. In my practice however they are rarely seen after the short scar brow lifts/temple lift techniques. They usually go away in 2-3 days.

Staples are used as it is less likely to catch hairs withing the stitches that are placed eliminating the need to trim or shave hair or developing irritations from buried hairs. It is actually less traumatic to the skin to use and also saves a bit of time while resulting in a nice result

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Headache following coronal browlift

+1

The post-operative side effects associated with a coronal brow lift should subside within a few weeks. It is not abnormal to experience a headache following surgery. In fact, this is one of the most common complaints following the procedure.  Regarding sutures or staples, it really depends on the preference of the surgeon.  I would recommend speaking with your surgeon about which type of closure he/she prefers and why they would use one over the other. Thank you and best of luck!

Jonathan Kulbersh, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Long term headaches not common

+1

Pain longer than a week after surgery is unusual for the browlift. Obviously it depends on the type of brow lift, and sometimes focal areas of pain at sight of sutures/fixation is possible.

Stapes are good to use in the incisions that are in the hairline so not visible, otherwise sutures should be used.

Good luck

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Headaches After Browlift Surgery

+1

It is extremely common to have a headache for a few days after most browlifts. It will go away completely no later than one week after surgery. The closure of coronal browlifts is done by either sutures or staples and is up to surgeon preference. There is no proven advantage to one method over the other in terms of ultimate scar outcome.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Pain after brow lift

+1

It is typical for patients who have brow lifts or other forms of forehead surgery to have some pain for the first 24 hours. We can better control this with new long acting local anesthetics in addition to pain pills. Often there is no need for pain medication with this regimen. Staples might  be slightly  more uncomfortable than sutures. Staples are easier to place in hair-bearing areas.the resultant  scars are of equal quality in my experience.

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD
Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon