With So Many Different Types, Which Implants Do I Choose?

I had a BA in 2007 with PIP implants. Now these have ruptured & I'll be getting them out, the only problem is that I have no idea which implants to replace them with. I had tubular breasts, which is why I had the surgery in the first place to construct an under-side to my breast & make it look normal, so now I am worried that I won't get a similar look. Which brand of implants have low rupture rate, are seen as the very best implants & would provide me with a natural, suitable look?

Which breast implants are best?

+2

Mentor and Allergan have been marketing breast implants in the United States for years, and they both produce a very high quality and durable product.  Although the Food and Drug Administration has difficult regulatory pathways for drug and device approval, which prevents many recently introduced products from the American market, this process also offers consumer protection against exposure to inferior and incompletely studied devices such as PIP implants.  Because American Board of Plastic Surgery surgeons are committed to the use of only FDA approved devices, you are much safer having your procedure here in the U.S., and choosing a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. 

It is true, we were using PIP implants in the U.S. for a brief period about 10-15 years ago, but they were quickly pulled from the market when problems were discovered, and American women suffered much less exposure. 

The tuberous deformity has been reconstructed, and you should be able to maintain, or possibly even improve your result with replacement devices.

Choosing replacement implants for PIP breast implants

+1

The standard today is for smooth surface, round implants of either silicone gel-filled or saline-filled implants. The textured surface is generally not needed in round implants and assuming there is no problem with malposition of the implants relative to the breast, I would agree with Dr. DeMars and replace your current implants with smooth surface, gel-filled implants of about the same size or perhaps slightly larger to make up for the textured surface of the old ones. I see no difference in the reliability of the Mentor or Allergan smooth surface, round, gel-filled breast implants. 

Scott L. Replogle, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

W/ So Many Different Types, Which Implants Do I Choose?Answr:

+1

A really short answer is you can't (and neither can your friends, although they will try!!!)  In my practice I try to take the pressure off patients to make that choice. Patients know the look and size they are going for and it is really the doctors job to pick which of the hundreds of implants will be the best for you. Tell your surgeon what you want and you can have him/her explain why they chose that implant for you. I tell my patients..."You tell me what color you want your house....let me mix the paint"!!!!!

John J. Corey, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant choices

+1

Choosing the right implant for you will best be done during consultation.  There are many options and an exam and your desires will help in choosing the right ones for you.

The best breast implants for you

+1

Your surgeon should be able to select an implant to replace your ruptured PIP implants. In the US we have two manufacturers that have a very good record of durability and an excellent implant warranty, the Mentor Memory Gel, and the Allergan Natrelle. Both come in a full line that will be able to match the PIP profile.

PIP breast implant removal and replacement

+1

If you were happy with your result the decision is easy: go see a board certified plastic surgeon and have a thorough discussion and examination and (probably) replace your silicone gel implants with silicone gel implants.  If you worry about any implications with regard to silicone implants, get saline-filled implants.  I feel that since both types are safe, and I have had good experience with  both types, you can't go wrong. We have 2 well established implant manufacturers here in the US and both are reputable.  I cannot vouch for the newest implants that are FDA approved.  I am sure your surgeon can help you.  Best of luck. 

James E. Chappell, MD

Breast Implant Revision

+1

This may be an easier problem than you think. If you had silicone implants and were happy with the results, have them replaced with silicone implants of about the same dimensions. Your surgeon will make that determination for you.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Best Breast Implants for Me?

+1

I do not think that you should feel responsible for “choosing” said your breast implants.

I would suggest that you do the following:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully.  Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you're looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.
2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals  with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining which operation and/or breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals.
In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural”  etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
 Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.
3.  Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly,  allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals.  Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery.