What Other Types of Synthetics Can I Use for my Rhinoplasty Revision Besides Gore-tex?

Will I need to stick with gore-tex if that is what was used in my original rhinoplasty?

Silastic implant should be used instead of Gore-tex

+1

We do not use Gortex in the nose due to possible infectious complications that have been reported.  We always try to use the patient’s own natural tissues such as nose and ear cartilage rather than synthetics.  If the patient does not have enough cartilage, then a synthetic implant composed of silastic can be used.

+1

I was senior author for a scientific paper on Gore-tex for Rhinoplasty grafts in the 1990's and reported the risks and complications of Gore-tex over ear cartilage and other grafting materials.  No, if the Gore-tex is going to be removed during the Revision Rhinoplasty there's no reason that you have to have it again...in fact, IMHO, a straight silastic dorsal implant is superior in results and reliability to Gore-tex which IMO has a tendency to get infected years later for no apparent reason.  For the nasal tip however, I do not use any man made substances, including Gore-tex as they are too stiff for this area and can erode through the skin.  For tip shaping and support, I use conchal cartilage ear grafts and have doen so fo over 20 years. 

Synthetics for Rhinoplasty Revision

+1

You can use any approved synthetics, including more Gortex in your revision rhinoplasty surgery.  Remember that the risk of complications such as infection increase when synthetics are used in revision surgery where circulation is compromised compared to the original operation. My first choice for graft material is almost always the patient's own tissue, such as their cartilage.    

Nasal Implants

+1

Respectfully, I think your question does not state WHY you had a Goretex implant in your nose, WHY the implant is being removed or was removed and as a result it is hard to begin to advise you WHICH implant if any you may require. IF the Goretex is being removed because of an infection, it is best to allow for the infection to fully resolve before considering another implant. As a rule, all synthetic implants (Goretex, Siliastic, Medpor and several meshes) share in common the fact that they are incredibly sensitive to becoming infected and extruded. When possible, it is far better to stay away from implants but whe required it is best to use tissues from your body than from other sources.

Synthetics in the nose

+1

Currently in the US gore tex, silicone and medpor are the only FDA approved implants. You don't have to use synthetics though. Your own cartilage is often preferable to most surgeons.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

It is a bad idea to use any synthetics in revision rhinoplasty.

+1

Hi.

Get other opinions.  More synthetics will likely lead to more complications!  There are excellent, much safer and reliable choices using your own tissues (cartilage grafts, diced cartilage wrapped in fascia, etc.).

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Synthetic Nasal Implants

+1

Hi,

You don't have to use gortex for your next nasal implant. It all depends on what your surgeon is comfortable using and what results you are looking to achieve. I use a combination of custom carved silastic and cartilage grafting. Custom carved silicone implants are Ideal for nasal augmentation and cartilage grafts a are great for tip work.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS