What Types of Sensations Are Associated with Cool Sculpting?

Will there be some discomfort? Will it be mild like the pain from working out or a numbing like very cold water or even warm at times? Will I have tingling or any unusual feeling in the coming days after the coolsculpting session?

Coolsculpting- squeezes and freezes and pleases!!!

+2

Like any other procedure different patients have different experiences. I can tell you the experiences of our staff and all of out patients since April of 2011 have definitely been positive. So does it hurt? Well for sure it does not hurt like injecting the acidic based local anesthetics for regular liposuction (assuming you would even be bold enough to do liposuction without general anesthesia!).  But it does have an INTENSE pulling- tugging sensation when the vacuum of the machine is turned on. Like a large soft attachment  to the end of your home vacuum-cleaner, the skin, fat, vessels, and nerves are strongly sucked up into the "applicator". The applicators do come in 3 different sizes (so far) so that it can bring in and stabilize as much of  your muffin top, love handle, pooch, banana roll, or any other area that can be pinched enough to distract from the underlying muscle and bony tissues. (The exceptions are anywhere this either is not enough to pinch, the applicators won't fit, or there is underlying structures that could be compressed- think carotids in the neck) Thus for the machine to work best it is almost always going to be used around the trunk and maybe rarely on isolated loose areas of the legs. And of course your doctor will help determine areas that it won't work, where you would benefit more (either physically or financially) from liposuction or excision (tummy tuck, thigh lift), or where it would be dangerous. This is also where you benefit from evaluation by a physician specifically trained in all of these options, say like a Board Certified plastic surgeon. My bias of course!! ;)

OK, so now you know how pulls and now where it pulls, so think of how sensitive those areas are on you. Does that make it bad? Well no!! The pain really has not been bad at all in anybody's experience thus far. This is because within seconds of the INTENSE pull the applicator has two freezing plates. One on each side. The tissue between the plates is protected by a gel sheet to protect the skin. The instant freeze combined with the vacuum lead to fairly rapid numbing of the area. The pull never completely disappears, but even the most squeamish and skiddish usually are like "well that's not too bad", or "it's not as bad as I would have thought". I think the more pull you get up into the applicator the better the result, but possibly this might be more uncomfortable. Thus I really think the worst I've heard was that it was uncomfortable. Most of the time this went away -a few times it didn't, but no one wanted to stop the treatment or even turn the suction down, which is of course what the options are if it wouldn't be tolerable. We have done all the areas we could think of. Some areas are more sensitive. Some people are more sensitive. All have been easily tolerated. Though I wouldn't even worry if you need to call the nurse or doc back to have them adjust the suction. It's nice knowing that if it does hurt (no matter what you read or what I say!) there are things that can be done and it won't last long if you know what's coming.

So an hour goes by (per area), at which the time is passed by reading a book, watching a movie, playing games or texting on the phone, and you nearly forget the machine is hooked up. Finally the beeper goes off and the suction is turned off. The skin below is reddish, cold, firm, and slimy from the protective goo. The tissues are massaged but really numb at this point. You get dressed you go to work, you go work out, you go home an make dinner for the family, whatever you want!! Try that with liposuction! This cannot be discounted. Many of us surgeons have actually seen liposuction patient's gain wait or lose a good part of their benefit by the sedentary period from surgery to recovery. I hate that! 

For several days there is mild swelling. Mild discomfort for most. Nobody in my practice yet has ever needed narcotics or the pain patches described. Sometime near the end of the first week to end of the second, the skin nerves that were involved recover. This is most likely a "itch that can't be scratched", sometimes an achy pain, other times just plain numb. All have resolved within the first month, but as you read these reviews take seriously the outlier, unusual case, and ask what the next step would be should something less expected  happen to you. In addition within about the mid portion of the second week a result becomes noticeable even if the final benefit isn't fully appreciated until the 7-8th week after. No particular diet necessary. No particular change in activity. This is not a "green light" for gluttony nor a weight loss procedure. It is spot treating fat in particularly exercise resistant areas with real results. The frozen fat is broken down, absorbed, and excreted. No scarring, no incisions.

Finally, as the surgeon, I get to see the experience of noninvasive to the invasive. There is no comparison in comfort from Coolsculpting to liposuction (no matter what source of liposuction or gimmick in marketing used). With liposuction it IS invasive. There IS downtime. Sometimes liposuction is definitely worth it, no doubt. Sometimes excisional surgery is best should there be loose skin. But for ease and comparative comfort with the procedure, return to fitness and function, for getting that boost in confidence, and benefit in fitting in you wardrobe, there is a sure role for Coolsculpting to give you a very real and noticeable result.

Mountain Home Plastic Surgeon

Type Of Feelings During And After CoolSculpting

+1

Dear Anon,

The patients feels suction at first then within about 5 minutes the area treated will become numb and that is about it during the treatment.

After the treatment, the patient may feel tingling, cramping on a sensitive to touch skin.

Nonetheless, every patient is different and some patient barely experience an unusual thing after the treatment is concluded.

With that perspective, this is why the cool sculpting is virtually with no down time and side effects.

Thank you for your inquiry.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

What To Expect WIth CoolScultping

+1
The initial few minutes of the process can be uncomfortable, but people do not require relaxation or pain medication. Within about 5 minutes you’ll lose sensation in the area and will easily be able to talk on the phone, read, use your computer, or watch TV. Some patients nap. Afterwards, a few patients may experience short temporary redness, bruising, or mild discomfort in the treated areas that resolves quickly.

Daniel Shapiro, MD

Sensations with CoolSculpting

+1

Thank you for your questions.

In my experience (when I had this treatment performed), the first 3-5 minutes was the most uncomfortable -- that was when the cool gel was placed on my body and the suction started.  The pulling sensation lasts only a few minutes and then the rest of the hour, you really don't feel much.  

Some patients experience numbness, tingling, aching in the area treated but that usually goes away after a few weeks.

Overall, a very easy procedure.

Sensations associated with CoolSculpting

+1

The sensations during CoolSculpting can include: numbness, tingling, burning and pulling. It can be uncomfortable and you can feel cramps for the first 8-10 minutes. After that the area is frozen and the sensation is gone. It's amazing how quickly the body adapts to the machine being attached to it. After the treatment, the area can have bruising for a few days and some numbness for up to 3 weeks. Everything should resolve by that 3 week to 1 month time.

All the best "Dr. Joe" Gryskiewicz

Joe Gryskiewicz, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

CoolSculpting is tolerated well by most patients

+1

It feels weird and it's common to feel anxious as the suction draws in the skin/fat compartment to the machine. That strong suction does hurt, a little in some patients and a lot in others, but then it gets better in 5 - 10 minutes as it freezes. Very rarely, especially with the abdomen, there can be a nauseating sensation. If the device is too uncomfortable, the applicator can be repositioned in the first few minutes, and this does help make it more comfortable sometimes.  It is well tolerated. On this website, 89% of patients give it a good rating of satisfaction, which is higher than most other cosmetic treatments.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Sensations associated with Coolsculpting procedures are very predictable.

+1

The actual Coolsculpting procedure has many sensations associated with it. First the skin layers that are pulled into the applicator feels uncomfortable until the layers get cooled. This takes 6-10 minutes. When the applicator is released the skin is numb for typically 3-6 weeks. Some people feeling mild to moderate tingling as the nerves come back to "life".

Laurie Casas, MD

Sensations with Coolsculpting

+1

During the procedure it is a pretty intense suction feeling but most people tolerate it very well.

After the procedure, usually by day four or five, you may have numbness or a crampy, "pins and needles" sensation that some describe as very uncomfortable but most tolerate it very well.

Steven Hacker, MD
West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

What You Feel with Coolsculpting.

+1

Hi,

The thing I love about Coolsculpting is how easy it is, how fast you see a result, and what minimal to no down time there is for patients!  When you have the small or medium applicator, you feel a mild to moderate suction and then it starts to become numb after 5 minutes.  When you use the large applicator on the abdomen, it feels like a strong suction but once again it is numb after 5 minutes and some patients actually fall asleep!  For 2-3 weeks after, you will feel slightly numb in the treated area. Around 5 days after the procedure you may feel some sensitivity to touch, tingling, cramps, and twinges which usually resolve in two weeks but are easily resolved with tylenol or aleeve.  I have never had to prescribe narcotics and we have performed hundreds of treatments.

Dr. Liu

Grace Liu, MD
Newport Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Sensations With CoolSculpting

+1

The most uncomfortable area is the abdomen. Especially with the 8.0 applicator. The pulling sensation is moderately uncomfortable until the cooling numbs the area.  This is about 7-8 minutes.  After that you don't really feel anything.  Afterward you will have numbness of the area usually lasting 3-4 weeks.  In addition you can get very different sensations.  When I did my lower abdomen it felt like I had a sunburn occasionally, itching and a few sharp pains.  They were all intermittent and lasted about 7-10 days.  The day I did my abdomen I played 9 holes and ran 6 miles so there really isn't any down time. 

The company has told us that rarely a patient will report severe pain that is easily treated with Lidoderm patches.  I've been using CoolSculpting since March and haven't had any patients report this.  It's a great device that really works.

Christopher L. Hess, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon