What Types of Dental Crown Material Are the Most Effective?

Which types are the most expensive? Are the lower cost materials less safe or do they have any other disadvantages?

Different Types of Dental Crowns

+1

There are many types of crowns that all have their place and time to be used in dentistry.  There are gold crowns, porcelain fused to metal, and all ceramic crowns.  All ceramic crowns are my choice anytime I can place them because of their ability to be bonded to enamel and their superior aesthetic qualities compared to the others.  Your dentist would look at your particular case and determine the most viable option for you.  

Houston Cosmetic Dentist

Dental crown materials

+1

There are many different types of crowns, these could be all gold, or porcelain fused to metal, or all ceramic. There is really no one best material for all situations. I would be very cautious of crowns at the low end of the price range for your area. Often these are porcelain fused to metal crowns which contain nickel instead of a precious metal such as gold. The issue with nickel is that many people, particularly women, are allergic to it. This increases the chances of problems later on. These types of crowns are also frequently made offshore for a very low cost and with questionable quality.

Cleveland Cosmetic Dentist

Crown material choices

+1

I dont charge different fees for different crowns. Each situation dictates which material would be best. Examples are gold, porcelain fused to gold and all-porcelain.  Many factors lead to the propper choice; too long to explain in one email.

Palm Beach Cosmetic Dentist

Dental Crown Options

+1
Recently I attended a update on dental materials and we have at least 15 types of crowns to offer and that doesn't include the non-precious cheaper options. We have work horse type crowns that have been around for over 30 years and gold crowns that have been around longer. The newer crowns all have pros and cons and you need to have some guidance. That is why it is important to find a dentist you trust. My goal is to fit your needs and have the crown last as long as possible. Every situation is different and unique. For example, if the crown is up front and shows (like a front tooth), I will choose a non-metal, all porcelain crown. Now we have options that are stronger than bonded porcelain so you must make decisions on color and strength, a patients habits and condition of their mouth. One last note, crowns can be made in the USA or over seas. Be sure to discuss this with your dentist if you have concerns.
Bellevue Cosmetic Dentist

Dental Crown Effectiveness

+1

Your question is about effectiveness and expense. Often, the two go together, because in every service business, the end result depends on many factors including the quality of materials used.  Dentists can have crowns done by artists who use the finest materials and create beautiful, life-like crowns, or they can choose laboratories that use the cheapest materials and don't focus on creating precise fits to your teeth.  This can be much cheaper, but ultimately can destroy your teeth.  Not a bargain, then!

Bellevue Cosmetic Dentist