what are the different types of Botox?

I am hearing many names...

What are the different types of "Botox"?

+2
Well, there is only one Botox, but there are other versions of neuromodulators (which is what Botox is) and those are made by its competitors. Botox is made by Allergan. Dysport is made by Medicis. And Xeomin is made by Merz Aesthetics. Treatment effects and results are similar, but Botox is the top product used, then Dysport, and finally Xeomin in the marketplace.

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

Botox is unique just as you are Ebtisamya...

+1
there's only one...it's a trade name, trademarked by Allergan, the company that manufacturers it...if the question really is - are there other chemicals similar in action and characteristics to botox...then the answer is yes with only several of the total choices available here in the U.S...the other choices are Xeomin and Dysport...and for all purposes, they offer similar if not identical results...

Ken Landow, MD

Types of “Botox”

+1
There is only one Botox, however there are other types of injectable toxins that are used to improve the look of moderate to severe lines in adults.

Botox is made by Allergan the makers of Juvederm and Latisse. Botox works by blocking nerve impulses to the injected muscles. This reduces muscle activity that causes moderate to severe lines to form. I prefer to inject this in the forehead region.

Dysport is made by Medicis the makers of Restylane and Perlane. Dysport’s molecule is slightly smaller than Botox and Xeomin and therefore has more “spread.” I prefer to inject Dyport around the crow’s feet area because of this.

Xeomin is made by Merz the makers of Radiesse and Belotero. This is the newest toxin and does not contain a complex protein that Botox and Dysport contain that you can eventually become resistant to. If Botox is not lasting as long as a patients would like then I inject them with Xeomin to see if it is better suited for them.

Ultimately, I base my decision as to which one to use by the patient’s history and lifestyle as I offer all at my practice. Consult with a Board Certified Dermatologist to see which option is best for you concerns.

Nissan Pilest, MD
Irvine Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox, Dysport and Xeomin

+1

Botox, Dysport and Xeomin. These are the three types of botulimum toxin used to treat lines and wrinkles. The number of units required for the same effect differs between products but the treatment effects are similar when properly used.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon