What Type of Tummy Tuck Do I Need to Remove the Maximum Amount of Stretch Marks? (photo)

Hello! I have had two children, and I am not planning on having any more. I have a lot of stretch marks from my second child, and I am planning to get a mommy makeover in July. I have stretch marks on my hips as well, and one of my hips has always been larger than the other. I understand the scar that will accompany the procedure, and also that only marks below my belly button will be able to be removed. In your opinion, what do you recommend I get done to achieve the best outcome possible?

Full Tummy Tuck with Lipo

+3

Judging from the photos a standard tummy tuck would be your best option. the procedure would remove the most affected area of your stomach, but may not completely remove the stretch marks abouve you belly button. However they will be well hidden along your bikini line. After the procedure and after your scar has healed you may want to try silicone based scar treatment creams, with which some have noticed a decrease in the appearance of stretch marks, but there is no difinitive proof that it affects the the appreance of stretch marks. Good Luck!

Fayetteville Plastic Surgeon

Options for abdominal rejuvenation

+2

In my experience, I see three good options all with advantages and disadvantages.

1. Lipoabdominoplasty with aggressive liposuction of abdomen and upper hips.  One stage procedure but the degree of stretch marks may be limited as the degree of skin tightening will need to be conservative because of the agressive liposuction.
  2. Full tummy tuck with UH liposuction, minimal abdominal liposuction of the deep fat only.  The skin can be tightened more aggressively with less liposuction of the abdomen.  The UH can be treated aggressively.  The remaining abdominal skin (current upper abdomen) doesn't seem to have as much fat and as it is stretched with the abdominoplasty will likely do well.
  3. Staged liposuction and abdominoplasty.  Both the fat removal and skin tightening can be very aggressive.  In your case I would probably recommend liposuction first.  Obvious disadvantage of two surgeries.

I would probably recommend #2 for the most bang for your buck with the least recovery time,

York Yates, Utah.

York Jay Yates, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck to remove stretch marks

+2

I feel that you would benefit from a traditional tummy tuck procedure, and hip liposuction for the best results. Even with the traditional tummy tuck procedure, some of the stretch marks above your belly button may not be completely removed. They will, however, be placed very low on your tummy and possibly hidden in your bikini bathing suit. Hip liposuction will allow for a smoother transition from tummy to back.

Antonio Gayoso, MD
Saint Petersburg Plastic Surgeon

You will love your change.

+2

Hi Jojo,  You are a great patient to have an abdominoplasty and ultrasonic liposculpture of the "muffin top".  The scar for your TT will be placed inside you underwear and hidden even a small bikini bottom. The liposculpture can be done through your abdominoplasty incison.  The few stretch marks that currently are above your belly button will end up just above your incision line (above your pubic area) and can be hidden with a slightly higher swim suit bottom.  All incisions / scars improve with time.  Your surgeon can optomize your scar but using the correct tension at the time of surgery and post operative taping.  You will be able to further minimize the scar using massage, silicone therapy and sun protection.  If there is residual redness, IPL and laser treatments can offer further improvement.  You are very observant that your hips are different.  This is related to a difference in hieights of your pelvic bones on either side.  There a a few causes for this.  None of them are an issue.  Your surgeon will explain this to you.  After surgery, you will still have this height difference because it is not something that is changed with a TT and liposuction.  I am certain you will be ecstatic with the outcome of your surgery.  Hope this information is helpful.  Dr. Scott Barr

Scott Barr, MD
Sudbury Plastic Surgeon

Abdominoplasty would place scar low enough

+2

Because the stretch marks are mainly below your belly button and because standard Abdominoplasty removes all skin from belly button to the hairline, a standard Abdominoplasty would place the scar low enough to be hidden and get rid of the stretch tissue. See my web site for similar tummy tuck before and after pictures.

M. Vincent Makhlouf, MD, FACS

Tummy Tuck in Temple, Texas (Love the way that sounds:)

+2

A standard full TT with liposuction to the hips to allow it to all blend will work fine. Generally if you draw a line horizontally about a half inch above your belly button, then the stretch marks that are above that line will be left after the procedure. Except they will be very low on your tummy just above your pubic area. I recently published an article on over 300 outpatient abdominoplasty cases.

Clayton L. Moliver, MD, FACS

Tummy Tuck

+2

I think that liposuction and Abdominoplasty is the way for you to go. You will have some stretch marks that will be left but it will contour you better then just a tummy tuck. Good luck and please seek consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon.

Gregory Lynam, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

What can be done to remove strech marks?

+2

By your picture, if you are healthy, I would recommend a procedure called a lipoabdominoplasty, a combination of a full tummy tuck and circumferential trunk liposuction. It is a procedure that can transform your abdomen and bring you back to your pre-baby body! good luck!

Jonathan Weiler, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Complete Abdominoplasty with Umbilical Transposition

+1

Your pictures suggest the presence of redundant abdominal wall tissue, weakened abdominal muscles, localized fat collections of the abdominal wall, love handles, and stretch marks. Under these circumstances, the best approach to this problem is probably a complete abdominoplasty with umbilical transposition.

This procedure would require tightening of the underlying rectus muscles as well. In addition, treatment requires extension of the abdominoplasty incision in a lateral direction. This would help minimize lateral stretch marks and love handles. In the majority of patients, liposuction of the flanks could be performed simultaneously and would significantly improve the result. Depending upon the results of these maneuvers, secondary liposuction of the abdomen could be performed to further augment the result.

Although it’s difficult to make a definitive recommendation without a physical exam, your pictures suggest that this would be the best treatment alternative. It’s important that you discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon so your treatment plan can be individualized specifically for your needs. 

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Can tummy tuck remove all of the stretch marks?

+1

That thank you for your questions and for your photographs.

Based on your photographs it appears as though you would be a good candidate for a full abdominoplasty.  Your plastic surgeon will have to confirm this by performing a pinch test in the office to see how much laxity you truly have.

If a patient is a good candidate for a full abdominoplasty it will usually remove the majority of stretch marks that occur below the bellybutton.  You must be aware though that depending on the laxity of your skin you may not be able to remove them all.  Sometimes stretch marks above the bellybutton can be removed, but if not they wind up in the very lower abdomen above the incision.  Discuss a low incision with your plastic surgeon in order to best hide any remaining stretch marks and the scar.

Based upon the photographs in order to improve your contour you may wish to discuss that liposuction of your flanks as well.  Your surgeon will have to tell you whether he or she feels that you have good skin tone. 

Best wishes

Adam Tattelbaum, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon