What type of tummy tuck procedure would be best for the removal of stretch marks and extra skin? (photo)

I am 31 and have two children. I became extremely overweight after having my children. I gained 70lbs with each pregnancy and had my children 1.5 years apart. In 2008 I lost about 120 lbs. I would like a suggestion as to what procedure would work best. I have large stretch marks, retain fat in the belly button, and have loose thin skin in the lower abdomen. The skin is very noticeable whenever I bend over; it remains flat against the abdomen and hangs on both sides.

Tummy tuck for a short waist

+1
You have a high belly button (short waist) and loose skin on the LOWER abdomen which makes you a good candidate for an unusual type of full abdominoplasty in which we "float" the belly button with the rest of the skin and thus the belly button ends up in a lower position. The best part of this approach is that your final scar can be in a VERY low postion.

Hilton Head Island Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck

+1
First of all congratulations on your weight loss! That's quite an accomplishment. Based on your photos alone it would seem that you would benefit from a full tummy tuck. This would tighten the abdominal muscles that separate during pregnancy, remove the loose skin, and eliminate the stretch marks below your umbilicus. Best of luck to you.

Mark Deutsch, MD

Full tummy tuck is required for loose skin and stretch marks after weight loss

+1
Thank you for your question and photographs.  Congratulations on your weight loss that is fantastic.  You look great in your photograph.

A full tummy tuck will remove the skin and stretch marks from the level of your belly button down but stretch marks above your belly button will stay.  Liposuction can be performed to reduce the fat around your belly button.  Finally after he recover 1540 non-ablative fractional erbium laser treatments can help the remaining stretch marks.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

After extreme weight loss, a full tummy tuck is best

+1
You would be well served with a full tummy tuck.  This is most effective in removing stretch marks.  You are a great candidate because almost all of your stretch marks are located below the belly button, where the tissue is removed.  I prefer to keep the incision very low so your scar ends up in the bikini line and I never use a vertical incision.  You would benefit from simultaneous liposuction of your upper abdomen and flanks to get rid of the "muffin top" areas.  You are likely to be very pleased.  Be sure to choose an experienced plastic surgeon and insist on seeing plenty of before and after photos that also show the scars.  I've attached a link to my website in case you want to check some examples.

Eric Swanson, MD
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

Which tummy tuck for stretch marks and loose skin

+1
Hello and thank you for your question.
Then only way to get rid of some of the stretch marks and give you a tight abdomen is with a Tummy Tuck. I recommend that you see a board certified plastic surgeon in consultation to get more specific answers to your questions which can best be addressed after a thorough history and examination is performed.

Best of luck to you!

David Cangello, MD

Loose skin and tummy tuck

+1
The tummy tuck that is right for you will depend on how much loose skin you have.  To get a rough idea of the length of the scar, sit in a reclined position and grab the lower abdominal skin that is loose.  As this tapers toward the sides of your hips, you will get an idea how much skin needs to be removed to give you a tight abdomen.  This can be demonstrated during a consult.  Be sure you pick a surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.  This is the gold standard for true plastic surgeons.  In addition to evaluating your surgeon's credentials and online photographs, make sure you feel comfortable with your surgeon's bedside manner.

Victor Ferrari, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck and stretch marks

+1
You have options of either doing a mini or full TT. Both would address skin laxity but with differing degrees.  It's best to make an appointment where you discuss you desired outcome and decide which is the best option for you. 

Edward J. Bednar, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck

+1
Thank you for your question.  Based on the photos provided I would recommend the full tummy tuck procedure for your case.

As others have answered here, a mini tuck primarily address skin laxity and sometimes abdominal laxity below the belly button. It doesn't do much for looseness or muscle laxity above the bellybutton. A full tummy tuck handles this area better.

There are other variations that are less well-known depending upon your goals and time for recovery.

For example a full tummy tuck can be done without muscle repair for the appropriate patient.

A full muscle tightening can be done with a mini tummy tuck skin excision or sometimes with no skin excision.

There are more extensive kinds of abdominoplasty that remove even more skin in patients with massive weight loss and severe laxity

The best way to approach this would be to learn which option would best fulfill your needs.

A board-certified plastic surgeon can help go over the options with you and address your goals.

Rick Rosen, MD
Norwalk Plastic Surgeon

What type of tummy tuck procedure would be best for the removal of stretch marks and extra skin?

+1
I think a standard or a short scar tummy tuck may be appropriate, but an exam would be helpful to make this determination.

Find a board certified plastic surgeon who performs hundreds of tummy tucks and body contouring procedures each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

TT

+1
You already have a very nice body shape which is a great foundation for a beautiful result. 
You are a perfect candidate for a full Tummy tuck, done through a very nice and low incision which can be hidden underneath a bikini, the stretch marks below your navel will be all gone and the muscle repair will do wonders on achieving a flat abdomen (upper and lower)and a tapered and smaller waist. 
I would recommend to do some lipo to love handles and if it is your desire, transfer that fat harvested into your butt. 
I can envision a great curvaceous result. 
Be encouraged. 
Dr. Cardenas

Laura Carmina Cardenas, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon