What Type of Treatment Do You Suggest for Ice Pick Scars and Rolling Scars from Post Acne?

broke out for the first time ever with cystic acne in Dec 2010. Went on antibiotics (Doxycycline and Tetracycline) for 3 months along with topicals (Benzaclin (am), Retin A (pm)). I'm now acne free but dealing with scars & indentations. I'm currently using retin A at night along with Vitamin E and jojoba oil to keep my skin moisturized. I'm also undergoing v-beam laser treatment to help with the red scars but my main issue is the indents in my skin. What treatment would you recommend for this

Restylane would fill in your acne scars quite well.

+1

Restylane would fill in the acne scars nicely and quickly.  When the big depressions are filled in then the little ice pick scars can be done with punch grafting and dermabrasions.  Sincerely,

David Hansen,MD

Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Treatment of Acne Scars

+1

Its good that you're using Retin A for a couple of reasons. First, it will help to keep your acne under control. Second, it may stimulate enough collagen synthesis to soften the acne scars that you have. Also, the acne scars may improve a bit more over the next few months. It really takes 6-12 months to get the final result following the development of a scar.

I think that the simplest procedure for your rolling, saucer-like acne scars would be to use a soft-tissue filler like Juvederm or Restylane. Laser procedures and chemical peels have more down time and a bit more risk. I think those would be good options if you weren't satisfied with the fillers, but from my perspective fillers would be the first thing to try. Fillers will help soften the acne scars with minimal risk and downtime. Improvement after fillers generally lasts around 9 months for treatment of acne scars.

Andrew Kaufman, MD

Fractional Laser Skin Resurfacing is a safe and effective treatment

+1

In my practice Fractional Laser Skin Resurfacing is a safe and effective treatment for most skin types including ethnic skin. We usuallycombine this with a medical grade prescription home product regimen for added results and safety.

David V. Martini, MD
Elkton Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fraxel Restore

+1

Looking at your skin, you are skin type 3 or 4 and as such, a series of Fraxel Restore treatments will give you improvement without posing a danger of side effects to your ethnic skin. If the pits are deep, TCA cross might be needed and safe if done in the winter months and all sun avoided for several weeks.

Mary Lupo, MD
New Orleans Dermatologist

Indents in skin from acne scarring

+1

those scars are broad based and not ice picky in nature and appearance. I would consider subcision but better would be a multilayered approach with co2 laser resurfacing. You should be realistic with each treatment though. It could take multiple treatments.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon