What Type of Surgery Do I Need to Make my Stomach Tight and Less Saggy? (photo)

I'm 19 and I have had one child. Before pregnancy I was 130ish, and on the day I have birth I was almost 190. Since then I have gotten down to 150 and I am content at this weight. But as you can see I got a ridiculous amount of stretch marks (they don't bother me too much) but my stomach is huge and saggy and when I sit down I get 3 rolls that hang over my pubic area. When I bend over its like cow udders on my stomach. I do sit ups, push ups and planks but see no results. What should I do?

How do I get loose skin tightened?

+1

Most likely you would be a candidate for a tummy tuck (abdominoplasty).  With that procedure, the underlying structural support (fascia) can be tightened, the excess fat can be removed, and the skin can be excised.

What Type of Surgery Do I Need?

+1

From the photos, which are not a substitute for an exam at an in person consultation, it appears that you would be a good anatomic candidate for a tummy tuck.

It sounds like you have lost some skin elasticity due to the pregnancy, and you have abdominal wall laxity due to separation of the abdominal muscles. Neither of these will improve with diet and excercise. However, getting you weight back down to 130 may make enough improvement in your contour such that surgery will seem less appealing. 

If you are planning to have more pregnancies in the future, you may want to  consider delaying until you have completed your family. Although you can have children after a TT, the same processes that caused the unfavorable abdominal contour may occur again--

Even if the weight loss doesn't give you enough improvement to avoid surgery, it will contribute to a better outcome should you choose to proceed. 

When you ready for an in person consultation, RealSelf has listings of surgeons in your area. You should consider cross referencing the listings from the The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (plasticsurgery dot org). A listing in the ASPS website assures you that your surgeon is not only board certified,  but also is a member in good standing of the major plastic surgery organization in the U. S.

Thank your for your question, best wishes.

Post pregnancy belly exercise vs. tummy tuck

+1

Hi, thanks for submitting your question. I agree with the other plastic surgeons who have stated that excercise will not get rid of the excess skin.  I would like to point something else out.  Your prepregnancy weight was 130 and you are currently 150 ish.  If you truly want to compare your prepregant  belly and your current one you will need to be at the same weight.  The sit-ups crunches and planks are great for your core, however, there is no spot training for weight loss.  Give your stretch marks, a full abdominoplasty would be the procedure of choice to get rid of the stretch marks that are up to the level of your belly button and to tighten the abdominal wall muscles.  If you are contemplating more children, it would be best to wait until you are done.

Stephen M. Chen, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

You cannot exercise loose skin

+1

Thank you for the question and photos.  We can build muscle and loose fat but we cannot exercise loose skin that has lost its elasticity.  At this time your options are limited to a full tummy tuck to provide the best result.  If you are planning on having more children I would delay this and continue to work on losing the remainder of the weight gain.

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Tummy tuck is one option

+1

You are not alone. Pregnancy will commonly leave women with stretch marks, extra skin and widened abdomen muscles. Weight loss or muscle exercises will not get rid of the extra skin or correct the widened muscles. A tummy tuck can correct your complaints. If you are considering having more children, you may want to hold off until after your last pregnancy as things can stretch out again with subsequent pregnancies.

To answer you question, "What should I do?", my answer is you have already done as much as you "should": you have eaten healthy, exercised and gotten your weight down to a more comfortable level for you. Weather or not you "should" undergo a tummy tuck is something you can consider after looking at all the risks and benefits of tummy tuck.

Congratulations on the new baby. Be proud of yourself for getting the pregnancy weight off through healthy living and hard work. Talk to an American Board of Plastic Surgery certified surgeon about the risks and benefits of a tummy tuck.

Armin Moshyedi, MD
Bethesda Plastic Surgeon

Make my stomach tight

+1

Thank you for your question and for providing the photos. There are alot of changes that occur to a woman's stomach during pregnancy. The skin becomes stretched and loses its elasticity. The muscles become separated and lax. No amount of diet and exercise can correct these changes.

While no substitute for an examination, your photos would suggest that a tummy tuck could correct this. You have a significant amount of muscle laxity which is creating the bulge. This could be corrected with a muscle plication, where the muscles are tightened and returned to their normal position. At the same time, the excess skin could be removed to remove the rolls and the remaining skin tightened. THe tummy tuck could restore your flat stomach and make your clothes fit better.

I would suggest consulting with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss the specific options for your belly. After an examination of your belly, they can answer any questions that you have and help you develop a plan.

Good luck with your stomach.

Jeff Rockmore

Jeffrey Rockmore, MD
Albany Plastic Surgeon