What Type of Scar Should I Expect if I'm Having a Mole Removed from my Chin?

What is the next step/procedure after mole removal in getting the skin to appear scarless?

Excision of mole will leave a scar as will most procedures

+1

When you excise a mole you have to make it into a wedge otherwise you will have bunching at the ends of the closure. The wedge is usually 2 times the largest dimension of the mole usually. Lasering however can involve only the more itself. The bigger the mole the more likely the abnormal healing with lasering. Below is a video to illustate our answer better. We have other informative videos and information on our website and a link is included to help you find us.

Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Scar after chin lesion excision

+1
Surgical excision leaves a scar. You can mitigate against poor scarring by refraining from sun exposure, reducing smoking and obtaining a good wound closure by a plastic surgeon. It is possible to develop scarring from shaving a lesion rather than formal excision. Your question doesn't specify the location of the lesion on the chin, its size and contour so it is impossible to be more specific. No surgical procedure is scarless so the resultant scar has to be weighed against the lesion and whether it is irregular or otherwise warrants excision.

Methods of mole removal for a minimal scar

+1

Moles are quickly and easily removed in my office by one of two methods: a shave excision or an excision with suture closure. In the technique of doing a shave excision, the mole is actually "shaved off" at a very superficial level just below the surface of the skin. This method is quite effective to remove moles and leaves a minimal scar. The procedure typically takes less than a minute, and is fairly painless. When I do an excision with suture closure, I use a "layer closure" with both dissolving and non-dissolving sutures to give the best cosmetic result. The area then typically heals with a small, linear scar that is hardly visible.

Web reference: http://www.dorsetstreetdermatology.com/general-dermatology/skin-cancer/

South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Scar reduction after mole removal

+1

Here are some wound care tips:

• covered wounds heal faster. The "getting air" idea is a myth. The healing skin gets it oxygen from the blood supply, not the air.
  • use an ointment like Aquaphor Healing Ointment. So many people are allergic to Neosporin that dermatologists are backing away from recommending it. Studies show an antibiotic is not normally needed.
  • Keep the sun off the healing "scar" especially when it is red. Otherwise, the sun can turn the red into brown, which might last up to two years.
  • expect redness the first 4-6 weeks. After the first week, make-up is fine as a cover-up.
  • redness should fade naturally and there is no magic cream to help your skin heal any better than a bland ointment such as Vaseline or Aquaphor.
  • "scar creams" are sold but the majority of medical studies show they are no better than a bland ointment without "special" ingredients
Nashville Dermatologic Surgeon