Which Type of Rhinoplasty Would Be Best for Me?

I am getting a nose job but havent chosen a surgeon yet. Right now im just doing my research. Of course i will get whatever type of surgery needed but i was wondering if a closed or open nose job would work best for my nose. I have an overprojected nose with a slight hump. It actually looks fine from the front but from the side is when it looks bad. The closed nose job seems to have more benefits than the open but which would be better for my nose type?

Open Or Closed Rhinoplasty

+1

Dear Elanna,

Choosing the open vs the closed approach is only the means to achieve commendable results.

Every surgeon is different and depending on how he/she sees it fit that either an open or a closed rhinoplasty is chosen.

If the surgeon chooses one technique over another, it does not mean that your results will be best unless the surgeon has extensive experience in what is needed to be done for you to get the best results preserving your natural looks.

So if I were to be you, I would not worry about what technique the surgeon chooses but about the experience, certifications, and former results the surgeon of choice has.

Best of luck to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Open or Closed Rhinoplasty?

+1

Open vs Closed rhinoplasty is a question that is usually determined by a surgeons comfort level with the procedure and which procedure fits the patient. There are difference between the two, and I will tell you that most rhinoplasties are performed using the open technique as it allows the surgeon to visualize the anatomy and allow for more technical refinements. Good luck!

Jonathan Weiler, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Open vs. Closed Rhinoplasty

+1

The exact technque for performing a rhinoplasty, open vs. closed, is a matter of surgeon preference and experience.  An experienced rhinoplasty surgeon will be able to differentiate between a patient who will benefit from a certain surgical technique.  During your consultation with your plastic surgeon ask why the particular technique would be best in your individual situation.  

Rhinoplasty-closed or open

+1

I was one of the first surgeons to do open rhinoplasty more than 35 years ago.   I still do open and closed noses depending on the patient.  YYou need to choose the surgeon whose noses you like and not the technique.   I see aas many patients for revision who have had their nose done by many surgeons using either technique. 

Open vs. Closed Rhinoplasty

+1

I would not be too concerned from your perspective of whether a rhinoplasty is done open or closed. What you care most about is whether you can achieve your result and that may involve slightly different techniques with different surgeons. It is not true that the closed rhinoplasty 'has more benefits' than the open rhinoplasty. Each has advantages and disadvantages for each patient's nose and the merits of either approach must be determined for every individual patient. 

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Technique depends on your surgeon and your anatomy

+1

Technique depends on your surgeon and your anatomy.  If you have a severely overprojected nose, you would most likely do better with an open technique.  Do not get overly concerned with open versus closed rhinoplasty.  Find a surgeon you like.  Go with their recommendation.  Make appointments for consultations with multiple surgeons. Look at lots of before and after photos. Board certification by The American Board of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, The American Board of Cosmetic Surgery, The American Board of Otolaryngology or The American Board of Plastic Surgery is preferred. Warmest regards.

Dr. Pippin

Gregory Pippin, MD
Metairie Facial Plastic Surgeon

Open vs closed rhinoplasty

+1

The best technique for rhinoplasty is the one that works best for your surgeon.  

Trends toward a closed approach have reversed over the past decade with more surgeons preferring the control of the open technique.  In my practice the only closed rhinoplasty is one where there is no tip work to be done.  I can precisely control the dorsum from an internal approach but if the tip needs any work I prefer the precision and control afforded by the open method.  

Daniel Greenwald, MD

Open vs Closed Rhinoplasty

+1

Hi Elanna,

There are pros and cons of open vs closed rhinoplasty. Some surgeons are more comfortable with one vs the other. I wouldn't be concerned about the technique so much as finding a surgeon that can give you the results you are looking for.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS

Open versus closed rhinoplasty

+1

Both the open and closed rhinoplasty approaches have their benefits and risks. Which approach is best for you depends on your anatomy and your surgeon's preference. Either approach can be used to treat a dorsal hump and tip projection problems. Depending on the size and position of your hump spreader grafts may be indicated to help prevent pinching the in the area as the nose heals.

I wouldn't select your surgeon based solely on their preferred surgical approach. Rather focus on their long term results. The small columellar incision tpyically heals very well and is a non issues after a few months.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Nose Job

+1

To be able to determine what kind of surgery would give you the best results we would have to examine you. In our practice we do open Rhinoplasty it leaves a very small scar that after a few months the scar is not noticeable. Make sure you do your research and make an informed decision

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS