What type, profile, and volume would I need to achieve my goal? (photo)

I am 5' 9" and weight 140lbs. I would like a round look with fullness on top (upper pole). Being that I do not have much upper fullness to begin with, do I need to get overfilled saline? or would high profile silicone also work? I want them to feel soft like real breasts not overly hard like baseballs. But, I want the very fit, round playboy look. What cc range would I need? I would like a D or DD cup.

Mini Ultimate Breast Lift(TM)

+1
Unfortunately, you have not told us your bra size. If you want nice natural feeling breasts you would benefit from a new technique called The Mini Ultimate Breast LiftTM. Using only a circumareola incision it is possible to reshape your breast tissue creating upper pole fullness, elevate them higher on the chest wall and more medial to increase your cleavage. Aligning the areola and breast tissue over the bony prominence of the chest wall maximizes anterior projection without implants. If you want to be larger, implants can be placed simultaneously. I always recommend small round textured silicone gel implants placed retro-pectoral since they look and feel more natural, are more stable, less likely to ripple or have complications needing revision. Implants profile is irrelevant in the retro-pectoral position since the muscle compresses it. At size 32 or 34 each 100 cc’s of implant corresponds to 1 cup size change. At size 36 or 38 each 200 cc’s of implant corresponds to 1 cup size change. From this, you can compute the volume required to achieve your desired goal. 22% of women who undergo breast augmentation require revision within 2 years because they are dissatisfied with the result. Implants alone will not give you the result you desire. Many women refuse breast lifts because of the ugly vertical scars of the traditional technique as well as loss of nipple sensation and the inability to breast feed. The Mini Ultimate Breast LiftTM solves these problems.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Texas Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant size

+1
After choosing the right surgeon for your breast augmentation surgery your goals are the most important factor.
I try to change the way my patients think about sizing their implants during our consult. Most people walk in thinking cup size. When they leave I hope they are thinking "person size". A 300 cc implant will look totally different on a tall person compared to a shorter person. A 300 cc high priofile implant has a totally different shape than a 300 ccc low profile.
Todays implants have specific dimensions. Each manufacturer has a high, moderate and low profile version.
I like to have my patients try on the actual implants in a sizing bra, we keep samples of each size solely for this purpose in each of my offices.
The width of the implant to me is the most important starting point. Too wide and a person will look top heavy, too narrow and the result will look like two torpedoes. I like to see the width fill the chest nicely and have an implant who's diameter balances the outer curve of the breast with the curve of the hip. Some women have this curve naturally, in others the diameter of the implant will create this balance.
Once we have the diameter of implant that balances the hips with the chest we can the change the cup size by looking at High, moderate or low profile-- mainly changing the cup size.
Its always good to to bring a friend or relative for another opinion, and some different shirts or blouses to try on as well. I always encourage my patients to size as many times as they like before surgery. This is a big decision and you want to get it right the first time

Antoine A. Hallak, MD, FACS

Moderate profile +350 cc to 400 cc may be your best breast implant option

+1
Thank you for your question and photographs.  You describe that you want a natural but full look.  You may consider either high profile are moderate profile plus breast implants in the 350-400 cc range.  However the width of your normal breast appears to be closer to what would be achieved with a moderate profile plus breast implant.

Please look carefully at your example picture of the patient who had implants.  Noticed she is covering her left breast with her hand.  A careful examination of her breasts reveals a double bubble deformity which is caused by having too large breast implants placed.  Choosing breast implants over 400 cc  definitely increases potential complications such as seen in that example photo.

Please consult a plastic surgeon who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, experienced in breast surgery, and has an excellent reputation in your community.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

What type, profile, and volume breast implant do I need for the breasts I want? (photo)

+1
What will it take for women to understand that volume (cc's) are unimportant in implant choice, but dimensions ARE important? 

For example, a round 600 cc implant can be 16 cm wide and 4 cm projection or 11 cm wide and 7 cm projection. BOTH are 600 cc: one is flat like a pancake and will only add one cup size to a woman with a broad chest, the other is round like a bowling ball, will add three cup sizes and the centerfold look you're after for a narrow chested woman.  Forget about cc's and implant volume!  The implant that is right for you depends most critically upon four factors: How much breast you are starting with, How much breast you want to end up with, your base breast width, and your skin surface area/elasticity.  If you want a round look with fullness on top, you must end up with a high volume to surface area.  Choose an ultra high or full profile implant from Mentor or Allergan respectively that matches your base width at its upper end.  If your surgeon is good, you'll get exactly the look you want.

Steve Laverson, MD

Choosing Implant Size/Type

+1
Your questions are very common ones for prospective breast augmentation patients. However, you'll only get general information online; an in-person consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon is the best way to find out exactly what implants you'll need to create the results you want. Many women who want upper pole fullness with a soft feel choose round, high profile silicone gel implants. Placing the implant under the muscle will give it more coverage for a softer, more natural result. To determine the best implant size for your desired outcome, your surgeon may use sizers to let you "test drive" different looks. Computer imaging is another great way to see how different implants will affect your results. Good luck!

Andrew Smith, MD, FACS
Irvine Plastic Surgeon

Breast aug

+1
Thank you for the pictures.

I would suggest a 400- 450 cc round high profile, this will get you closer to the wish picture.

Dr. Campos

Jaime Campos Leon, MD

What type, profile, and volume would I need to achieve my goal?

+1
  Silicone implants placed under the muscle will provide for a softer feel and more camouflage.  450 cc may be a good estimate to get to your goal, but I always have patients try on sizers to determine what they would like.

Preoperative Breast Sizing

+1
Thank you for your  question and photos. Picking the correct size, type, and shape of implant is critical in your overall end result.
There  are many variables,  including but not limited to the shape of your current breasts, your chest wall dimensions ( wide or narrow)the look you want( high and firm vs. natural),
the type of implant( silicone vs. normal saline filler), the type ( low, high profile, form stable, textured vs. smooth).
Size is difficult to correlate to  strap and cup size bra because there are NO standardization in bra manufacturing. As a woman you well know in one bra brand you may be a B and in another a C cup or another A cup.
My suggestion is go out and buy three  different brands, full bodied, non padded bras of the size you think you want to be. Take rice and put in a nylon and insert into the bra over your breast until you get the size you like. Measure the rice. 1 oz. equal 30 cc. Thus if you like 12 oz and multiply by  30cc = 360 cc. This how implants are made and sized.
To address all of the other variables you need to have a personal consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeons and have your measurements taken and then have all the  options discussed. Bring three  photos of want you want your breasts to look like.
Fortunately based on your photos it appears that a lift (Mastopexy)  will not be required.

You look like a excellent candidate, the next step is to make an appointment with a a board certified plastic surgeon!

Robert A. Hardesty, MD, FACS
Riverside Plastic Surgeon

+1
The best cosmetic result in any particular breast augmentation patient depends on a variety of factors, including: your individual anatomy, desired outcome, realistic expectations, a thorough discussion with the plastic surgeon about the options, and an understanding of the pros and cons of any particular implant choice. Proper sizing is not just about the number of cc’s. The thickness of your tissue, breast dimensions which include the width, height, and projection, as well as chest wall width all need to be considered when choosing an implant. Trying on implant “sizers” of various shapes and volumes while wearing a tight t-shirt, bra, or bathing sit at a preoperative visit will help you and your surgeon choose the optimal implant.

Keep in mind that following the advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you exactly what to do based on limited 2 dimensional photos without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of each operative procedure would not be in your best interest. I would suggest you find a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Implant size

+1
If you want to be a full D cup, I would go with something in the mid 400 cc range.  Don't go over 500 cc's.  You'll regret it later when they sag.  The choice of saline versus silicone is entirely yours.  There are advantages and disadvantages to each.  I personally prefer saline.  More trouble free in the long run and much lower incidence of capsular contracture.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD