What Type of Procedure Would Improve my Jaw Line and Neck?

I am 36. Following two pregnancies with swelling and weight gain, my chin line is almost gone and my neck seems very thick. My profile looks like I almost don't have a chin. Even when I lose weight I still seem to have a fat neck that makes it look like I don't have a chin. Is there anything that would improve the appearance of my chin and neck?

Improved Neck and Chin Contour

+2
  • In patients under 40 who desire contour changes to the neck and chin area, treatment usually involves a combination of liposuction contouring, possible muscle tightening, possible chin implant and/or jaw line area fat transfer.
  • When you area examined by a plastic surgeon in person, they can help diagnose the  cause of the problem areas and the treatment options.
  • The results of treatments in this area can be subtle, but have a very nice, natural effect on appearance.
  • Some of the heat energy/laser approaches may help- though the results are variable. Your doctor can help you decide if to proceed and what treatment may be best!

Neck Lift

+2

If you have lost all the baby weight that you think you are going to lose and are within a near  normal BMI there are a couple of options that I would consider offer you.

1.  Completely nonsurgical option would be the skin tyte treatment (Sciton).  This involves heat and light applied to the skin on the neck.  It will help with skin tightening but not so much with the fat.

2.  Laser liposuction.  This is a minimally invasive office procedure that involves one 3mm incision under the chin.  Then 3 steps:  1.  The fat is broken up and liquified by a laser treatment which helps it be suctioned out.  2. Gentle liposuction which is much easier because of the first step.  3.  The undersurface of the skin is treated with a second skin tighten laser.  This is great for the fat and skin.

3.  If a small chin is contributing to your lack of neck definition you may need a chin implant.  This is inserted through a small incision and can make a huge difference if needed.

4.  None of the above address the muscle in the neck.  If needed, a small incision is made under the chin and the muscle is tightened.  This can be done with liposuction/chin implant.

Obviously, you need to have an in-depth consultation with a knowledgable provider who can offer you multiple options based on your exam, down time, financies, etc.  Feel free to send photos to my web site.  Good luck!

Hannah Vargas, MD
Kansas City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Improving Neck and Jaw Line - Need Individualized Recommendations

+1
An exam is always needed to determine how the specific causes of your undesired neck appearance. In particular there are 4 main factors that need to be evaluated:
1. the amount of redundant skin, excess fat below the chin, (requires neck or facelift)
2. banding of your neck mid-line neck muscles (platysmal bands) - requires platysmal plication (neck tightening)
3. elasticity of your skin. - requires laser or peels, thermage, ultherapy
4. a weak chin (supports the skin structure) - requires chin augmentation
Each of these components are dealt with in a different manner. For example, excess fat requires direct removal or liposuction (more common), widely spread playtsmal bands are brought together (neck tightening), and excess skin is removed with a lower facelift or neck lift (this can be done with minimal scars). Certain lasers and peels can help with elasticity problems and your photo seems to indicate adequate chin projection.

From your description it would appear that you may benefit from liposuction, possible chin augmentation and skin redraping with muscle tightening (Lite Lift). Traditional liposuction removes excess fat superficial to the platysmal muscle. A neck lift is able to remove fat both above and below the platysmal muscle and tighten it; this will give a more defined jaw/neck line. .The lax skin in your upper neck can be approached directly by a less invasive facelift in the mini-face lift such as the MAC or Lite Lift procedures. The least invasive would be one of these procedures which corrects the upper neck loose skin extremely well.. My own personal preference and in my hands the one with the least invasive approach is a Lite Lift which is performed in my office under local anesthesia with some oral sedation without the need for IV sedation or general anesthesia.

Always go to a board certified plastic surgeon with great experience in neck and face lifting.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Chin and Neck Contour Improvement

+1

It is recommended that patients lose baby weight and get their BMI within the normal range before going in for a procedure. For patients under 40 years old, a combination of treatments in this particular area can give very nice and natural results. Possible combination considering your condition, finances and down-time, usually involves liposuction-contouring, muscle tightening, genioplasty and if required fat transfer in the jaw line region.

A non-surgical option would involve heat and light applied to the neck area. But though this helps tighten the skin it will not have much effect on the fat.

Jeffrey Weinzweig, MD

Improve Jawline and Neck Appearance

+1

I recommend you consult with a qualified surgeon who can give you a proper examination and strategy for treatment. At my practice in New York, I offer patients neck rejuvenation procedures to improve the appearance of their neck. By combining neck lift rejuvenation procedures, such as neck fat removal (or neck liposuction), neck tightening (platysmaplasty) and excess skin removal (cervicoplasty), I am able to maximize the quality of the results. Our Quick Recovery Neck Lift procedures are performed under local anesthesia with light IV sedation for safety and less downtime.

Amiya Prasad, MD
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Full chin

+1

Although it is hard to tell without seeing your pictures what you are describing is possibly related to excess fat and may be improved with just liposuction

Sam Naficy, MD

Neck and Jaw Line

+1

Hi PaMommy in Elmira,

It sounds like you need to be evaluated by a qualified surgeon.  You might be a condidate for liposuction of the neck region if there is mostly fat in this area.  If there is alot of skin, you might need to have a lower face and neck lift with a chin implant.

Dr. David Alessi

David Alessi, MD

Smartliposuction provides excellent results for neck contouring.

+1

Smartliposuction provides excellent results for neck contouring. In my Salt Lake City, UT practice I perform Smartliposuction of the neck with patients awake in my procedure room.  With your age and your written description I think that is the best procedure for you.  You need to find a qualified plastic surgeon that performs Smartlipo to have a detailed exam to ensure that you are a proper candidate.

Richard H. Fryer, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Neck Lift?

+1

Thank you for your email.

It is difficult to know exactly what procedure would be best for you but you could be a candidate for possibly liposuction +/- neck lifting surgery.  It would depend on the skin elasticity and the physical examination.

Visit with a board certified plastic surgeon to get the best advice.

Best Wishes!

36 year old neck contouring

+1

For someone your age (young!), it's possible lipo alone will do the job. If there is skin laxity, a tightening procedure will be necessary, possibly requiring an incision around the ear or under the chin. You will need to be examined by a plastic surgeon to determine the best procedure for you. Good luck!

Michele A. Shermak, MD