Is any type of paper tape ok after rhinoplasty?

The kind the Dr. gave me a super adhesive tape that is hard to remove even when wet. Can I use a less adhesive tape or is it less effective at compressing the nose? I'm worried I'm reversing the effect of the tape by lifting my skin so much during removal of tape. I bought a Johnson & Johnson "hurt free paper tape" that is more gentle and would like to use it if possible.

Check With Your Surgeon

+1

Good question. You should follow your surgeon's directions and discuss your question with him or her, if possible. However, I routinely have my patients use paper tape, and in my experience that has worked well, so I think that is a reasonable solution until you talk to your surgeon.

Tape after rhinoplasty

+1

Some surgeons have their patients continue to tape their nose after rhinoplasty, but it needs to be done in a specific way that your surgeon approves of. You don't want your surgeon to tell you later that you didn't tape it correctly.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Paper tape use after rhinoplasty

+1

It is reasonable to change the use of tapes for comfort. However, I would ask your surgeon before you do so.

Kristina Tansavatdi, MD

+1

Your concerns are reasonable. It is best to check with your plastic surgeon and follow his or her instructions.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

+1

This sounds reasonable, but just give your surgeon's office a call to ask that question.

Taping of the nose after rhinoplasty

+1

Thank you for your question. Taping the dorsum of the nose can be very helpful in reducing swelling and preventing a supratip deformity after rhinoplasty.

It is normally very important to follow the specific instructions of your plastic surgeon. However I always use paper tape which provides adequate compression of the skin but does not rip the skin or distort the skin when the tape is removed.

I think your concerns are normal and understandable and a gently taped should be able to achieve the same result. However you should not your plastic surgeon know.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS