What Type of Nose Surgery is Best to Reduce a Rather Wide Nose and Bulbous Tip?

I have a lot of questions, but let me stick with this- What type of nose surgery would be best for my nose, and what kind of result can I expect?? What would make my nose look more natural? I just don't want it to be the first and only thing people notice about me when they look at my face.

Wide nose andf bulbous tip

+2

Hi Purple,

The best way to predict your results is by having a thorough examination, and evaluating pictures of you from all different angles.  As you can tell, I am implying that you would need a consultation to best understand what type of results you should expect from rhinoplasty.

At Lasky Clinic, I use a 3-Dimensional morphing tool that is state of the art in planning and predicting rhinoplasty results.  With this type of imaging tool, you can see how your nose would transform using techniques targeted at treating the parts of your nose that you dont like.

Good luck.

Dr. Torkian - Lasky Clinic, Beverly Hills.

Open rhinoplasty can improve wide nose with broad nasal tip

+1

Thank you for your question and photograph. An open rhinoplasty with narrowing of the nasal bones, and cartilage grafts to narrow and refine your nasal tipshould give you an improved nose appearance.

Choose your rhinoplasty surgeon carefully. He need to find an expert rhinoplasty surgeon with an excellent reputation in your community.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Rhinoplasty

+1

You definetely need a highly specialized rhinoplasty surgeon with extensive expierence. Your choice of the specialist should be influenced not only by his qualifications, but the results of his work, especially with reference to patients with similar nasal features.

Kris Conrad, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Skin and cartilage make the difference

+1

The width of anyone's nose is the result of skin thickness (and how much it can shrink) and also cartilage and bone strength (which gives the nose its shape).

Your skin is rather thick, and I do not think it will shrink much.  That means that you can have a better shape and narrowness, but it will have to be done by augmentation--making the cartilage shape the skin better--rather than by reduction and hoping that the skin will do something that it just cannot.

You may also have to compromise in your goals.  I always show prospective patients photos of other patients with tissues and shapes like theirs that I have treated.  Patients must understand what is possible, or they cannot make informed decisions about whether to proceed.  Some patients are happy with the results, and some hope for more than I think can be achieved.  Those patients are better off not having surgery than being disappointed.

You have a hard but very improvable nasal shape.  Good luck.

Mark B. Constantian, MD, FACS
Nashua Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty best way to reduce wide nose with bulbous tip

+1

The rhinoplasty operation is the designed to address three main areas of nose; the nasal bones, the upper lateral cartilages, and the lower lateral cartilages. Any breathing problems due to internal structures such as a deviated septum should be addressed as well. The wide bones on the nose are narrowed through a rhinoplasty procedure with medial and lateral osteotomies. Hump removal is performed when necessary. Upper lateral cartilage in the mid third of the nose is narrowed and follows the newly narrowed nasal bones. There are multiple tip techniques including removal and restructuring of cartilage depending upon the issues presented. The refined tip must balance with the other mid third and bony portion of the nose.

Rhinoplasty Surgery

+1

The eyes are the first thing we see when meeting someone, unless a big nose gets in the way. A complete rhinoplasty will refine and define your nose so it is in harmony with all of your positive surrounding facial features. Mother Nature is not perfect - unfortunately the wrong nose was put on your face. An experienced rhinoplasty surgeon will provide a natural result.

Rhinoplasty options

+1

Your pictures present  a good candidate for a nice change is your nose.  It sounds like your have reasonable expectations.  It would be good to have a side view of your profile.  Also a physical exam would allow for assessment of your cartilage and bone structures and the quality of your skin.  Be sure and consult with board certified plastic surgeons.  It is advisable to get several consultations.  An open rhinoplasty may be suggested.

Tal Raine MD

Talmage J. Raine, MD

#Rhinoplasty surgery to narrow a wide #nose & refine a bulbous tip

+1

Hi PurplePopcorn in California,

Rhinoplasty is not one operation, but many potential operations. Every patient is unique. The primary goal of cosmetic rhinoplasty surgery is to reduce attention from the nose, and bring attention to other parts of the face such as the eyes and lips.

The wide nose is generally narrowed with bone reshaping or osteotomies. The bulbous tip is typically due to the size & shape of the nasal tip cartilage, which would be narrowed with sutures, and/or cartilage removal. Rhinoplasty surgery may be performed via an internal (endonasal) or external (open) approach, which are both appropriate methods for surgery. Only after speaking with a plastic surgeon can he/she determine appropriate options for you. He/she may also due computer simulation to help show expected results, but computer imaging does not guarantee results. Best of luck.

Dr. C

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

Your last comment hit the nail on the head.  The goal of rhinoplasty should be to take the attention off of the nose, not to make the new nose the center of attention.  You have beautiful eyes that should be the center of attention.  Noses can sometimes be distracting.  It is impossible to give specific recommendations based on one picture.  However, in general it is possible to narrow a wide nose.  Your nasal bones, at least in the picture, seem wide to me.  You might also benefit from some tip refinement.  These goals can certainly be accomplished by a good rhinoplasty surgeon.  Good luck!

Matthew Bridges, MD
Richmond Facial Plastic Surgeon

Treating a wide nose

+1

Treating a wide nose and its improvment depends upon a lot of things.  Certainly a rhinoplasty can narrow the nose but if the skin is very thick, it is hard to get good definition.