What Type of Neck Lift Can Be Done for Loose Skin Caused by Oral Surgery? (photo)

Having had oral surgery in the late 80's..with a section of the jaw removed on both sides and a clip inserted under the chin..I now have a turkey type section directly under my chin..as well a jowls..when I pull the skin back a the neck/ear line..I see positive results..and look more like myself..would a neck lift slove this..I am a happy and healthy 64 year old women..and take no meds..nor do I feel I need a facelift over all..

Lower Facelift Needed For Neck Sagging

+2

I don't know what contribution your prior orthognathic surgery has made to your present large neck wattle, but you are going to need a complete lower facelift, aka neck and jowl lift. This may just be part of our natural aging process at 64 years old or may have been worsened now by the lack of jaw support. Regardless the hanging neck skin must be treated by moving it up and backward to discrete incisions around your ears where it can be excised by invisible scars. Your perception of a facelift is common with the belief that it is a top of the scalp down to the neck procedure, which it is not. A true isolated facelift only treats the lower 1/3 of the face, exactly where your concerns are. As a result, it is a much simpler and easier procedure to go through than most patients envision. Your proof that this is the correct procedure is evident by the presurgical facelift test', pulling up and back around the ears creates the desired neck and jowl changes.

What Type of Neck Lift Can Be Done for Loose Skin Caused by Oral Surgery?

+1

In my experience the changes in your neck that concern you result from aging, gravity and sun damage as opposed to jaw surgery. With that said a lower face and necklift will remove fatty tissue from the neck, tighten and reposition the neck and lower face skin. This will accentuate the jaw and neckline and remove jowls. This is the best option for treatment of your lower face. Many patients want to avoid surgery and seek our lasers and other devices in an attempt to achieve the same results without surgery but these devices are a setup for disappointment as they will not provide the improvement you're looking for. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelifting is best option for loose neck skin!

+1

Hello, and thanks for your question.

When loose skin is present in the jowls and neck area, a facelift will provide the greatest rejuvenation with the most natural result. Skin tightening systems and "weekend lifts" will likely not cause significant improvements nor last for you. While the lax skin certainly could have been worsened by oral surgery, at age 64 most women (and men!) DO have loose skin in the neck and sagging of the midface that causes jowls. While it may be intimidating, a facelift is pretty routine and gives very natural, consistent results. Good luck!

Catherine Winslow, MD
Indianapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon