Best Type of Liposuction? Skin Tightening? (photo)

I'm 5'2' and 150 pounds most in saddlebag, thighs and hips. I'm smaller on my upper body. Biggest point of saddlebag measures approx 49 inches and each upper thigh (including the lateral saddlebag) 30 inch. Can liposuction help? I'm 44 and don't have a very elastic skin, my inner thighs sag a bit but I also do not exercise at all and have smoked for 20 years (I recently stopped). I also have cellulite (or loose skin? Hard to tell since when I pull the flab it looks like cellulite goes away).

Best liposuction techniques for skin tightening

+4

There are many techniques for liposuction, and I am not going to tell you one is better than the other. It is not the equipment, but the skills of the surgeon that give you a safe and predicable result. Liposuction removes fat and is a great way to contour the body. It is not a weight loss procedure. Most patients have a degree of loose skin, cellulite, and contour irregularities. This does not mean that you are not a candidate for liposuction. You have to have realistic expectations. Your body contour will change, but your existing skin quality and condition will not. A degree of skin retraction will occur based on the natural elastic properties of skin. Some patients have better skin tone than others, and therefore will see more skin retraction regardless of the technique used, whether it be laser liposuction, ultrasonic liposuction, or some of the other advertised liposuction techniques. Based on your photos, liposuction will help improve the contours of your inner and outer thighs so that your clothing looks and fits better. It will improve your body disproportion so that your larger lower body is more harmonious with your smaller upper body. There is currently not a proven, reliable, and predictable way to tighten the overlying skin in your case. Cellulaze is a newer treatment that may improve the appearance of cellulite by about 50%, but it expensive and labor intensive. For liposuction, I prefer standard tumescent liposuction technique using a power assisted cannula for evacuation. We all have our own personal preferences based on our experience and results. In addition to surgery, you would need to do your part with diet and eventually exercise in order to improve upon and maintain the result.

Thighten skin procedures.

+3

Thighten skin procedures are in reality a myth once a patient suffers of saggy skin, flaccity or cellulite no matters the age, because nowadays we see younger patients with saggy skin and or cellulite due to poor quality of tissues and skin, because if genetics and lack of a good diet and exercise habits. In my humble opinion you need to lose some weight because as you stated all of your overweight is on the bottom of your body, so losing some will help a lit to have a better result. Second, I would recommend a liposuction to outer and inner thighs and an extended thigh-saddle bags and lower body lift in order to improve: inner thighs, saddle bags and butt area. Hopefully I may be helpful with this information Dr. Cardenas

Laura Carmina Cardenas, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Skin tightening is still a very elusive problem with liposuction

+2

Skin tightening is still a very elusive problem. Liposuction is like removing air from a balloon. When the air of the balloon is removed the skin of the balloon will have to shrink down to accommodate the new volume. It it does not then you have loose skin. SmartLipo is an attempt to tighten the skin but it is not as reliable as we would prefer and I would not promise a patient that it has any advantage over standard liposuction.

Liposuction and skin tightening

+2

It is important that you postpone surgery until your weight has been stable for a number of months. If your 10 pound gain was over the last month any improvement achieved by liposuction could be masked by continued weight gain. Aggressive liposuction performed to achieve skin tightening has a high complication rate of skin loss, indents, scar formation under the skin etc. Liposuction performed just to change body surface contours can be beneficial in cases such as yours.

I hope you realize that this format of posting questions and receiving answers lacks the face to face direct communication required for you to make an informed decision regarding your surgery.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship in order to know if this assessment is valid.

Aaron Stone, MD

Best Type of Liposuction for Saddlebags

+2

Based on your photos, you appear to be an excellent candidate for tumescent liposuction.  Consult with a board certified Plastic Surgeon to discuss your concerns and expectations.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Liposuction for saddlebags

+2

It looks like you would be a good candidate for liposuction for your inner and outer thighs. There are different "add-ons" to tumescent liposuction, such as laser assisted liposuction, or ultrasound assisted liposuction. I perform straight tumescent liposuction. I am fearful of the laser assisted liposuction techniques as there is greater risk associated. Your skin elasticity will still probably remain what it is. Make sure that you go to a surgeon that has really good training, and has performed many cases.

Jennifer Reichel, MD
Seattle Dermatologic Surgeon

No type of liposuction will tighten the skin.

+2

Ultrasonically assisted or laser assisted liposuction does not tighten skin. Most surgeons of quit wasting their time with these modalities in every turned to liposuction employing negative pressure only.

Best type of liposuction an skin tightening

+2

Skin tightening is very unpredictable and generally is more related to the patients own inherent skin elasticity than the particular technique utilized. Other factors such as smoking , poor nutrition, etc. can further inhibit this. In an ideal setting weight loss is the best method of reduction/skin tightening but most patients in your situation have been defeated over time in this effort. I feel you can get a significant improvement from body contouring with some type of liposuction and,depending on your exam, there may be a need for skin excisional surgery as well if you have significant laxity. I feel that ultrasonic assisted liposuction when done properly would likely give your skin the best opportunity for contraction although as long as  you choose an experienced board certified surgeon who operates in a safe environment , the method is secondary.

Grady B. Core, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Best procedure for liposuction of saddlebags.

+2

Thanks so much for your question.  Based on your photos and your history I feel the safest and best type of liposuction that I would recommend is standard tumescent liposuction.  With your smoking history you should be careful of some of the laser assisted types of liposuction as there will be a higher chance of seroma and complications.  Hope this helps.  Good luck.

Shaun Parson, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon