Best Type of Lift W/ Implants After Partial Mastectomy? (photo)

I am 23 years old,I had a partial mastectomy 1 year ago.The affected breast has filled the space back up with fluid since so it is just a tad smaller than the opposite breast. My insurance company denied reconstruction,but the PS they referred said a Donut Lift would be best for both breasts and then implants.I feel like my breasts sag to where a vertical lift is needed. Scarring is not an issue, I just want to be even again.The operated breast has a scar around areola where they operated prior.

Best type of lift for asymmetrical breasts

+2

Thank you for the photos and question. First, you have to decide which size breast you like best. If the smaller one suits you best, then you need bilateral vertical lifts and a small reduction on the left side to achieve bettter symmetry. Remember, they are sisters and not twins! If you prefer the larger, left side, than you need a left vertical lift and a right sided augmentation +/-  a lift. I would not do a periareolar lift. Talk to your surgeon again or seek another opnion from a board certified plastic surgeon. Good Luck.

Bellevue Plastic Surgeon

Best Type of Lift W/ Implants After Partial Mastectomy?

+2

Thank you for your question and for the attached photos. The photos to demonstrate ptosis, or sagging. However it may be that it is more so than can be seen in his photos because your arms appear to be elevated which simulates a partial correction.

From the photos I would feel on the borderline between recommending a peri-areolar lift or a vertical lift. It may be that if I were looking at photos with her arms down to side I would lean more towards recommending a vertical lift.

You should discuss at length with your surgeon and perhaps seek another opinion if you disagree with this suggestion given to you.

Good luck and best wishes

Yes, some form of breast lift or oncoplastic technique is likely necessary to make your breast more even.

+1

Thank you for your question and the photos.

Yes, some form of breast lift or oncoplastic technique is likely necessary to make your breast more even. If you want more volume, then consider implants.  Insurance will likely not cover this as your asymmetry is very mild based on the photos.

To be sure, see two or more board-certified plastic surgeons in your area for a full and complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have surgery. I hope this helps.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Asymmetry after partial mastectomy on one side

+1

This is a very good (and very important to the patient) question and requires a large amount of experience as well as available techniques to address. It also depends on patient preferences and concerns as well as both short and long term results. 

The first thing is to be sure that the situation is stable and no fluid collections, further surgery, or significant weight changes are present or planned. The next issue is to decide which breast has the best size and shape, how much scars or amount of surgery are important, and then to consider long term issues. 

The simplest and perhaps best solution for short term and long term is to lift and reduce the unoperated left breast to match the right side. This equalizes the breast volume and should be stable long term in spite of weight changes (but not further breast tissue removal). It also doesn't involve an implant or any effect on breast tissue or surveillance. 

Trying to augment the right breast to match the upoperated left breast is not as easy as it sounds. Even augmenting both breast with unequal implants is very difficult to get equal and would not stay equal in the future with aging and/or weight changes. There is also potentially enough ptosis that augmentation alone wouldn't be wise or feasible. A lift and unequal augmentation of both sizes is juggling even more factors in terms of a symmetric result. 

Fat grafting the the right breast would be feasible (assuming it was not irradiated), but I wouldn't recommend that after a partial mastectomy for some degree of breast cancer presence or risk. We don't have enough long term data to "prove" that fat grafting to the breast has no effect on surveillance or breast cancer. 

I would also minimize further surgery on the partial mastectomy side for reasons of scar tissue and blood supply. 

So, not knowing the patient's priorities, I would recommend a custom lift/reduction of the left side to match the right side and see how things go in the future. 

Scott L. Replogle, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

+1

Great postured photos. In my opinion I would offer enriched fat grafting to the smaller right breast and a full lift with small reduction on the left. 

Breast lift for symmetry

+1

You may need a vertical mastopexy to make your breasts more symmetric.  However, if you had the partial mastectomy for breast cancer your insurance company should definitely pay for the surgery!

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD

Best Type of #BreastLift W/ #Implants After Partial Mastectomy? (photo) ANS:

+1

I think you can get a great result with a lift and implants. But from your pictures it's kind of hard to tell exactly what type of lift would work best. It's one of those things where you will probably need to see a few doctors and see what type of surgery makes the most sense for you!

John J. Corey, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Hello

+1

From your pictures it seems like you would benefit from a modest implant and a vertical lift, it would give nice and natural results. Getting saline implants would be a better fit for you to try and make you more symmetrical.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS

Breast implants and vertical breast lift

+1
Hello, I agree with you that in addition to breast implants (different sizes) you would benefit most from a circumvertical (lollipop) breast lift. The combination of these two procedures will help improve the volume asymmetry as well as the shape/laxity asymmetry. A purse string mastopexy alone will not correct the breast laxity difference of the lower half of the larger breast. All the best, Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Best type of lift

+1

If scarring is not an issue for you, a vertical lift with a lollipop scar would give you the best results along with asymmetric volume implants...this would also allow more accurate sculpting of your right breast tissue.

Leonard T. Yu, MD
Maui Plastic Surgeon