What Type of Licensing is Required in Portland Oregon for Juvederm Botox?

I did a lot of research and found a great Dr. who has been practicing same office for 30 years. I had a mini face lift and am very happy with outcome. But I decided to get a little filler work done (first time) he suggested I make appointment with the Injectionist in his office. I am very concerned now about what I look like and I started to dig a little and she is not licensed with any state bar that I can find. Is this legal in Oregon? I though she would have to have some type of license.

Type of licensing required in Portland for juvederm and botox

+2

Oregon's policy as outlined on the Oregon Medical Board website can be found here:

(note: realself won't allow me to link it, so you can direct message me for the link, or search the oregon medical board site for botulinum toxin, 5th result down)

Professionals such as nurse practitioners (NPs), physician's assistants (PAs), and estheticians can perform injections. I can't speak for NPs, but in the case of PA and estheticians, they are required to be supervised by a physician with the physician being ultimately responsible for treatment results. If you do choose an non-physician, the level of supervision is key.

Often times you will see medispas that perform these services with a "ghost" physician or medical director who supervises in name only. You want to steer clear of these places. Furthermore, many of these places lure patients with deals, groupons, pretty waiting rooms, etc...Cheaper is not always better and sometimes (unfortunately) you get what you pay for.  For more information on choosing an injector you can visit injectablesafety dot org. It's put out by all of the societies represented on the realself site.

Good luck and have a nice day!

Michael Kim, MD

Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Who can inject Botox and/or fillers

+1

The short answer is that it depends on the state where you are living, and the requirements for that medical board. You can contact your local state medical board for specifics - they will know. No matter what, though, each injector must practice under a licensed physician, as products are only distributed to them through legitimate vendors.

In Nevada, frighteningly, anyone can inject - physicians, PAs, RNs, MAs, and aetheticians. This is why we have a high rate of problems with injections and technique! I have several physician friends in Oregon and I've heard the same is true up there; however, I've never looked into their medical board requirements specifically to confirm this.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

+1

I'd just ask the office manager what the state policy is for allowing non MD's to inject Botox or fillers.  Some states allow RN's and PA's to do the injections under the supervision and instructions of an MD.

It's always safest to have a physician injector

+1

Many states legally allow anyone to inject fillers and neurotoxins as long as it is "under a physician's supervision". Unfortunately, this often means the physician is somewhere in the vicinity or, worse yet, stops by the clinic or spa once a week. I recommend you find a board certified physician who takes the time to do these injections themselves, not delegate them to someone else. Because this is an art as much as it is a science, it is especially important to remember that the experience and technique of your physician injector is the most critical part to your achieving a beautiful, natural result.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon