What Type of Implant to Get? My Doctor Says Low Profile Is For Me, Will I Get Any Projection?

I am going to get a lift wth implant. My ps is suggesting mentor low profile due to breast width of 14cm. I am currently a 36D but very delfated and saggy. Will low profile give any projection or will I appear to be flat?

Low Profile implants can be used for superior fullness in breast lift without a large increase in size.

Thank you for your question.  Low profile implants do not have a lot of projection but may give you the superior fullness you want when used in conjunction with a breast lift.

If your base diameter is 14 cm, then the volume of a moderate plus implant is going to give you a significant increase in breast size. If you are already a D cup, then adding a lot of volume may not be good for you in your situation.

It all depends on what size you want to be in the end and the quality of your breast skin and tissues.

#LowProfileBreastImplant Considerations

The best advice is to show your plastic surgeon what you want to look like. It is very difficult to determine the exact size and shape implant you will require to best match your ideal breast image without an examination by a board certified plastic surgeon. Not just any board certified plastic surgeon, but one with many years of frequently performing breast augmentation surgery including different approaches, techniques and implant choices. This is because several measurements not to mention your breast characteristics are needed to determine the optimal implant size to obtain your goals. Without knowing these dimensions it would be difficult to make this determination. For example, the existing base width of your breast will determine, in many cases, the maximal volume per implant profile that you can accommodate. To illustrate; a 100 cc difference may make a significant difference with a narrow base width breast, but much less of a difference if you have a wide chest wall and wide breast “foot print”. Therefore, just because your friend may have a great result with let’s say a 350 cc implant to make her go from a “A” cup to a “C” cup size does not mean that you will have the same result with the same size implant. . Further simply placing implants in a bra to determine the size best for you is not always accurate as the bra often distorts the size, is dependent on the pressure the bra places plus the implant is outside your breast and not under it among other variables. Computer software morphing programs that automatically determine the best implant size can be helpful in some but not all cases (e.g. doesn’t work well in my experience with existing implants, sagging or asymmetric breasts). Using “want to be” photos however are useful if simply provided to the surgeon as I will further explain in the link below.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Type of Breast Implant with respect to Projection and Width

The best implant shape chosen for each patient is the one that is closest to the size desired by the patient, and one that fits their chest wall, i.e, has enough width to get great cleavage without hanging off the chest wall on the side and the one that has the best projection.  Your surgeon will examine you and decide which type - low, moderate, or high profiles.  Low profile has the greatest width and least projection, and high profile has the least width and greatest projection if the volumes compared are the same.

Additionally, the different implant specifications also vary with the brand of implant company chosen - for example, Mentor and Natrelle (formerly McGhan) have different volumes and shapes. 

Ghada Afifi, MD

A low profile implant does not give a lot of projection.  You say you are a 36D but very deflated and saggy.  Ideally we would like to see pictures to give an educated recommendation.  However, if you want to have some more projection, a moderate plus implant will do that.  However the volume will be more and you will even up with a larger breast size.  You should discuss that option with your Plastic Surgeon.

Rigo Mendoza, MD

Implant profile

The selection of  a breast implant involves a number of variables. Your plastic surgeon will understand these variables best. Based upon your examination, which involves assessing your size and your tissue elasticity and then combining this with your desired postoperative appearance your plastic surgeon will make recommendations as to implant volume and style.  I never guarantee the type implant I will  use when performing an augmentation with a lift because both operations work against one another and completing either procedure may interfere with the other so that procedure must be done in a stepwise manner to avoid that problem.  If you are not happy with the plan you can certainly go back for  secondary consultation or visit with another plastic surgeon.

Thank you for your question and best of luck.

Ralph R. Garramone, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Implant profile in augmentation with lift

Choosing an implant profile depends on your breast width, amount of breast tissue that you have as well as your desired breast size.  Low profile implants do not usually give a high projection.  However, without examining you, it is difficult to give you an advice since I do not know how much breast tissue you currently have.  

Which profile implant is best with a breast lift.

This is a complex question.  I have found that the breast lift narrows the breast and a moderate plus implant is still gives the most natural projection to the breast.  Again, it is important that you have a careful discussion of your goals with your plastic surgeon, and that he/she understands these goals.

Dustin L. Reid, MD

Implant choices

I do not commonly  place low profile implants for breast augmentation. I find most of them are too wide for my patients.

Choosing a breast implant profile and lift

The best place to start in deciding what type of implant to get is to try on sizers, so that you first understand your size goals. This is easily done in the office, and is a great way for you to communicate with your doctor about what your specific size goals are. Once you have set a number with regard to volume, you can then look at the various implant choices at that size (low profile, high profile, etc) and determine how closely each will fit your native breast configuration. The limiting factor is often not enough width, but with 14 cm you have plenty and that should not be a problem. Another factor to consider when choosing implant profile is whether your surgeon is planning on placing the implant under the pectoralis muscle, or above.

Matthew Concannon, MD
Columbia Plastic Surgeon

What Type of Implant to Get? Low VS. Moderate VS. High Profile ?

An attractive breast is full, half dome like and has a nipple complex located just below the equator and in a straight line with the fold of the breast (junction of chest and breast).

If you are a 36D and are otherwise happy with your breast volume, you do not "need" a breast implant (which will add additional weight and cause sagging), you may do well with a breast lift alone. The operation would leave you with perky breasts of similar volume. But,  if you want to have larger breasts AND have them perky, you would need to have a Breast Augmentation with a Lift.

The choice of an implant would be one whose diameter is UNDER 14cm (in your case). I do not like the appearance of the older, low profile (LP) implants (in either the Mentor or Natrelle (Inamed / McGhan) lines) and prefer the Moderate Profile (MP) implants. I would prefer a MP silicone gel implant (which would be lighter than a same volume saline implant).

If you REALLY want to see what these implants could look likew in you, consult a Plastic Surgeon who uses Canfield VECTRA 3D digital imaging. The computer takes a 3D picture of your torso. Then, while you sit with your Plastic surgeon, based on YOUR MEASUREMENTS, you can see yourself "augmented" with ANY breast implant and make a much more intelligent choice, based on YOUR preferences, on which of the several implants which COULD be used, would be best for you. We do so in our practice and our patients love it.

Good Luck.

Memphis, TN