I Am a Type 2 Diabetic Interested in a Tummy Tuck in the Future, Am I A Candidate?

I'm a 65 year old type 2 diabetic, on a supervised weight loss program. On average I'm loosing 10 pounds a months. To this point I've had no complications from the diabetes. I would like to have a tummy tuck once I've reached goal and maintained for a few months. Am I a candidate for this surgery?

Tummy tuck candidate

+1

As long as you are otherwise healthy, have reached your target weight, and blood sugars are in good control. Have a general medical clearance with your private physician prior to a plastic surgery consultation.  Diabetics do have some increased risk of post operative complications, however, many otherwise healthy controlled diabetics, have had successful tummy tuck surgery.

Diabetic patients are suitable candidates for abdominoplasty although they face somewhat higher risks.

+1

Provided you understand the magnitude of the procedure and the risks, there is no reason that you cannot proceed with an abdominoplasty if you are in stable health.

Type II Diabetes and elective plastic surgery

+1

Diabetes Type II does not preclude you from considering elective surgery such as an abdominoplasty.  It would be important for you to work with your plastic surgeon and endocrinologist to keep your under control after surgery and to avoid problems. 

Diabetes and tummy tuck after weight loss

+1

Weight loss is one of the most important things you can do to help manage your adult onset diabetes. Many see a reduction in glucose and A1C levels and can be excellent candidates for skin reduction surgery or tummy tuck. The time to go forward is after you have reached your weight goal.

Abdominoplasty with diabetes

+1

If your diabetes is well controlled and your A1C level is essentially normal, it should be ok to proceed with elective surgery, but it is important that your surgeon and primary care physician communicate and make sure that there are no other elevated risk factors. I also recommend that you wait until your weight loss is complete and your weight stabilizes before undergoing surgery for the best long-term results. Good luck!

Lawrence Iteld, MD

+1

Based on what you describe, you may be a candidate. Discuss this with a Board Certified plastic surgeon who will likely ask to have you cleared for surgery by your primary care doctor.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS
Ohio Plastic Surgeon

Diabetes and Tummy Tuck

+1

Once you've reached your goal weight and your diabetes (sugars) are well controlled, then yes, you can consider a tummy tuck.   Please see a board certified PS to learn more about your options.

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

+1

Yes, you may very well be a good candidate for tummy tuck surgery in the future. I would suggest that you continue to do what you are doing and achieve a long-term stable weight. Then, seek consultation with your internist or family practitioner and ask him/her whether you are a suitable candidate for the procedure ( obtain “medical clearance”).

Then, seek consultation with board-certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate  significant experience helping patients in your situation. Ask to see last examples of their work and communicate your goals clearly.