I Am a Type 2 Diabetic Interested in a Tummy Tuck in the Future, Am I A Candidate?

I'm a 65 year old type 2 diabetic, on a supervised weight loss program. On average I'm loosing 10 pounds a months. To this point I've had no complications from the diabetes. I would like to have a tummy tuck once I've reached goal and maintained for a few months. Am I a candidate for this surgery?

Diabetes and Tummy Tuck

+1
Thank you for your post. Diabetes is a disease that should demand a healthy respect from both surgeon and patient in plastic surgery. It is a disease that affects the immune system and can increase the risk of infection, a disease that affects the healing potential of a wound and can cause opening of a wound, and is a disease of the circulation that can lower the blood flow to the operated tissue and cause necrosis or tissue death. This needs to be managed as follows:

1. Tight blood glucose control with diet, exercise, and medication. You need to see your internal medicine doctor regularly and make sure your diabetes is well controlled.
2. If you are overweight, then losing weight decreases your risk in tummy tuck surgery or any other surgery for that matter.
3. If you have high blood pressure, this needs to be managed and well controlled by your internal medicine doctor as well.
4. ABSOLUTELY NO SMOKING!
5. Consider with your surgeon HyperBaric Oxygen therapy pre- and post-op.
6. Make sure you understand from your surgeon and anesthisiologist what medications you should take or not take prior to surgery.

It is very possible to have a great outcome as a diabetic following tummy tuck surgery, but minimizing the risk is the most rational way of accomplishing this.

Best Wishes,
Pablo Prichard, MD

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck candidate

+1

As long as you are otherwise healthy, have reached your target weight, and blood sugars are in good control. Have a general medical clearance with your private physician prior to a plastic surgery consultation.  Diabetics do have some increased risk of post operative complications, however, many otherwise healthy controlled diabetics, have had successful tummy tuck surgery.

George John Alexander, MD, FACS

Diabetic patients are suitable candidates for abdominoplasty although they face somewhat higher risks.

+1

Provided you understand the magnitude of the procedure and the risks, there is no reason that you cannot proceed with an abdominoplasty if you are in stable health.

Type II Diabetes and elective plastic surgery

+1

Diabetes Type II does not preclude you from considering elective surgery such as an abdominoplasty.  It would be important for you to work with your plastic surgeon and endocrinologist to keep your under control after surgery and to avoid problems. 

Diabetes and tummy tuck after weight loss

+1

Weight loss is one of the most important things you can do to help manage your adult onset diabetes. Many see a reduction in glucose and A1C levels and can be excellent candidates for skin reduction surgery or tummy tuck. The time to go forward is after you have reached your weight goal.

Abdominoplasty with diabetes

+1

If your diabetes is well controlled and your A1C level is essentially normal, it should be ok to proceed with elective surgery, but it is important that your surgeon and primary care physician communicate and make sure that there are no other elevated risk factors. I also recommend that you wait until your weight loss is complete and your weight stabilizes before undergoing surgery for the best long-term results. Good luck!

Lawrence Iteld, MD

+1

Based on what you describe, you may be a candidate. Discuss this with a Board Certified plastic surgeon who will likely ask to have you cleared for surgery by your primary care doctor.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS
Ohio Plastic Surgeon

Diabetes and Tummy Tuck

+1

Once you've reached your goal weight and your diabetes (sugars) are well controlled, then yes, you can consider a tummy tuck.   Please see a board certified PS to learn more about your options.

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

+1

Yes, you may very well be a good candidate for tummy tuck surgery in the future. I would suggest that you continue to do what you are doing and achieve a long-term stable weight. Then, seek consultation with your internist or family practitioner and ask him/her whether you are a suitable candidate for the procedure ( obtain “medical clearance”).

Then, seek consultation with board-certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate  significant experience helping patients in your situation. Ask to see last examples of their work and communicate your goals clearly.