What Type of Dental Implant is Best for Patients with Advanced Bone Loss?

Promoted Local Answer Promoted local answers are based on Featured Doctor activity within your current location.

Type of implant with advanced bone loss

+1

Hello

The type of implant is not as much of the issue as the importance of restoring lost bone. This can be done by bone grafting procedures to help augment the missing area and support the dental implant in an ideal position as possible.

dr. kazemi

Web reference: http://www.facialart.com/our-practice/dental-procedures-oral-surgery/bone-augmentation-grafting-for-dental-implants-dentist-beth

Bethesda Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

Brand of dental implants matters as does size

+1

There are clinical studies sponsored by most dental implant manufacturers that will show anywhere from a 95 - 100% success rate.  Over the years I have worked with all of the major implant brands.  I hahave found that Astra have the highest real-life success rate.  All implants are made of titanium (grade 4 usually) but the major manufaturers have more R and D into their surfaces.  While most implants work in most people failure rates are lowest in companies with very advanced services.  Of these advanced surfaces< i believe Astra is the best.  I have seen an extraordinarily high succes rate with Astra, higher than other manufacturesrs.  In compromised bone or low quality bone you want the best implant surface as well as the largest implant that will fit in that area.  In certain situations there is a great growth factor that can be added to your own bone made by Medtronic - Infuse BMP-2.  This growth factor was approved in the early 90s for spinal surgery and has recently been approved for oral applications.  Of course, better materials have higher cost than clones or cheaper version materials.  Cheaper implants don't have the more advanced surface.  You should ask your dentist what brand of implant he uses and why and what his specific success rate is.  Also ask if there are any warranties.

Good Luck

Washington Cosmetic Dentist

Implants for bone loss cases

+1

So long as you have 6mm depth of bone then Bicon implants are a well studied brand of implant. 

Any less then a block bone graft usually from the mandible or hip is advised.

These decisions are best made with an implant specialist.

But you have to ask your self, why have you had advanced bone loss? Diabetes, porr oral hygiene, neglect? And will these be corrected before implants are placed?

London Cosmetic Dentist

Dental implant survival in advanced bone loss cases

+1

In case of extreme bone loss cases were the bone grafting to increase the height especially is unrealistic, the dental implant in use makes a huge difference. I have been involved for the last two years in the launching by ZImmer dental a new generation of dental implants called Trabecular metal implants. These implants will work extremely well in cases like yours. Your treating surgeon should be looking into them. 

New York Cosmetic Dentist

Bone loss and Dental Implants

+1

Whereas I totally agree with the other dentists regarding bone loss,  you have not mentioned what type ofrestorative care you will need.  Are you replacing a single missing tooth? muliple teeth?  or perhaps an overdenture.  This will also determine what type of implant and how much bone is adequate for implant success.

Houston Cosmetic Dentist

Shorter thicker implants are used now for bone loss,,

+1

But the fact that the bone is thin makes placeing an implant even riskier. Usually a bone graft will need to be done prior to the implant placement. As you can see by all the other answers listed that we all feel the same regarding this matter.

Los Angeles Cosmetic Dentist

Implants in Patients with Bone Loss

+1

The most important question is to define advanced bone loss! Bone loss could mean just a few millimeters or much much more. The diagnostic test you will need is a CT scan to define the amount of bone loss and what is left, the location of any nerves or other important structures nearby that could be harmed. In some cases, we can place a short implant, but this is not my preference. It is better for esthetic and longevity reasons to first build up the bone and then when it is at a suitable level to place the dental implant. Don't be in a hurry or let your dentist tell you that it is OK to try to get away with placing an implant in an area of bone loss. It is NOT!

Baltimore Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

The Best Dental Implant for Patients with Advanced Bone Loss

+1

I use Iluma ultra cone beam scanner which produces a 3 D images allowing me to a precise diagnosis. It enables me to see if the patient needs bone grafting or a sinus lift to complete the procedure.  We also use Simplant 3D interactive system to determine the position of the implant with a 100& accuracy.  Also Ostell manufactures a device we use to measure the stability of the implant. Stability is critical to the lifespan of the implant and the comfort of the patient.  All this being said, if you have bone loss, you want the best implant surface as well as the largest implant that will work.  You need to find a prosthodontist or a periodontist who has all of the above tools and good surgical skills. You need  to make sure your mouth is healthy, your body is healthy and that you have a good diet supplemented with proper nutritionals.  Implants have a very good success rate !  Good luck!

Valencia Cosmetic Dentist

Best dental implant type for patient with advanced bone loss.

+1

Nearly all dental implants heal and integrate in the bone they are placed in. If there is advanced bone loss then the bone needs to be reconstructed. Failure in implant dentistry usually appears if the implants are mechanically overloaded. This happens if there are not enough implants placed to support the teeth or if the implants are placed in positions or at angles that are not mechanically favorable. So as you can see it's not necessarily the implant type that dictates success but rather the mechanical load. Your best bet is seeing an experienced dentist that can plan the appropriate prosthetic load before the implants are surgically placed.

Toronto Cosmetic Dentist

What type of implants are used for people with advanced bone loss

+1

There are many factors involved with success of implants. All points made by previous responses are all valid. I -would most pay attention to getting a precise measurement using  imaging . I would pick a experienced surgeon, and then leave the rest to her / him . Lastly, I would do my utmost  to stay away from all risk factors such as:

• Bad Hygeine
  • Bad nutrion lacking suplement, and minerals
  • Smoking
  • Diabetes
  • Autoimmune disease

Now you can have the best implant ,the best operatorm, and the best technology.  but if the host has compromised bone, compromised effort, you have compromised results. Good luck.

Orange County Cosmetic Dentist