What Type of Cortisone is Used for Acne and What Dosage is Correct?

I was just curious about the type and dose on injectable cortisone for acne cysts. Are they're different types? How much is used and how is diluted?

Kennalog

+2

Most dermatologists inject with Kennalog (Triamcinolone Acetonide). We  usually learn to use this as a resident and then become so familiar with it that we continue using this throughout our careers. I remember once switching to Aristospan for an injection into a patient's elbow. He came back with a small ulceration (which resolved). Ever since I have stuck with Kennalog.

Dosages would vary. For a cyst on the face, I would use 2.5 mg/cc. I am sure the majority of my colleagues use the same dosge for the face.

How much is used would depend on the size of the cyst. Usually less than 0.5 cc. for most facial lesions.

Virginia Beach Dermatologist

Cortisone injections for acne cysts

+1

Cortisone injections are a popular and effective way to get cystic acne lesions to resolve quickly and minimize the risk of scarring.  Kenalog is a popular choice.  The concentration used is generally anywhere from 2-4 mg/ml for injection of lesions on the face.  The main risk is atrophy which may appear as a lighter or depressed spot.

Dina D. Strachan, MD