What Type of Breast Lift Do I Need?

I was considering a breast lift and was wanting to know what type of lift would be best and what problems would need to be addressed.

Breast lift for breast asymmetry and drooping

+3

I do not believe a vertical lift will give you optimal results with the degree of lift necessary, particularly in your left breast. Rather, an anchor type of incision will give you the best appearing scars around the nipple and on the vertical incision and not give the tendency toward a flat appearing breast that many vertical-only techniques can produce.

Dr. Rand is spot on to look at pictures carefully of patients with your type of breast and see how they did with the various doctors.

As always, you are best choosing a surgeon, rather than choosing a technique.

Breast lift approach depends on degree of sagginess/ptosis and your goals

+2

Breast lift or mastopexy is by far one of the most challenging operations plastic surgeons perform. The type of lift depends upon the degree of ptosis or sagginess of the breast, the surgeons experience and preferred approach and patient goals.

If you place a mark at your fold where the breast attaches to the chest and connect those lines below your breast bone between your breasts and look in the mirror, if your nipples are below the line, you need a mastopexy or breast lift. For me the more ptosis or sagginess you have the more of a lift you will require versus just doing the same lift for everyone.

In general if your nipples are less than an inch below your fold, we can just perform a around the nipple-periareolar approach. If your nipples are between 1-2 inches below the transposed fold, I recommend a circum-vertical, or around the nipple and vertical scar. If greater than 2 inches, I recommend a full mastopexy or anchor approach. Most patients are worried about the vertical scar but it is the scar that always looks the best.

In reviewing your photos, your breasts are quite asymmetric or different from side to side and you have greater than 2 inches of ptosis or sagginess. I believe you will have the best shape and longterm contour with a full mastopexy approach. You should be a nonsmoker and healthy to have this procedure and be willing to accept some mild asymmetry as well as a possible fold scar revision in the future after a year of healing. All of the surgical options, risks and complications, and preferred approach should be discussed with your plastic surgeon.

All my Best!

Bradley Bengtson, MD, FACS
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Correction of breast sagging

+2

Clearly, you have marked asymmetry but, im my opinion, it appears that you coudl be well suited to get a full breast redution and lift with a vertical technique.

Best Type of Breast Lift for YOU

+2

You have both significant breast sagging and asymmetry. The most attractive and longest lasting results would be obtained with a MODIFIED Lejour, more accurately a Hall-Findlay Breast lift procedure.

This operation will cone the breasts and lift them resulting in perkier, higher breasts. It allows for a breast reduction on one side and correction in the size of the areolae thereby greatly improving the breast asymmetry while giving long lasting results WITHOUT the under the breast, transverse scar (anchor component).

Breast lift

+2

It looks as though you are a good candidate for a vertical incision breast lift (same as the circumvertical incision which one of my colleagues previously described). You will probably need to have a small reduction on the left to match your right breast, which can be done through the same incisions. I suggest seeing 1-2 surgeons in your area who can examine you and show you photographs of this procedure. Good luck, /nsn.

Nina S. Naidu, MD, FACS

A breast lift can involve several different types of incisions

+2

Hello - It appears as though your a great candidate for a circumvertical breast lift. This type places the incisions around the areola with a small incision below it. It provides a lift to the nipple/areola as well as improving the shape of the breast. Potential problems scarring, altered nipple sensation, and recurrence of the sagginess. A breast lift can be done entirely as an outpatient with minimal pain and downtime. Good luck!

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD, FACS

Types of breast lifts

+2

You have significant ptosis and asymmetry of the breasts.  A full lift will elevate the nipple, reshape the breasts and correct the asymmetry.  Make sure to go to a surgeon whose photos looks excellent because no 2 surgeons are alike and neither are their results. 

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Type of breast lift procedure

+1

You would be a good candidate for a vertical mastopexy .  There are several different types of breast lifts including a peri-areolar crescent lift, a doughnut or Benelli lift, a Vertical Mastopexy and a Key hole or anchor type mastopexy.  All have specific parameters.  Based on your appearance and the degree of breast tissue below the inframammary crease you would get the best result with a vertical mastopexy.  It is possible that you would need a anchor type on the breast that has more sagging.  

Breast Lift Technique?

+1

Thank you for the question and picture.

Your breasts demonstrate significant breast ptosis and asymmetry of size and position. You will benefit from breast lifting/reduction using vertical or anchor type incisions. You will find that in order to improve symmetry,  different incisions may be necessary. Obviously, reduction of the larger side will also be helpful.

Make sure you are working with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons.

Breast lift technique

+1

You can go with either a lollipop incision lift or an inverted "T" incision lift depending upon what your goals are.