Type of Bras for After Surgery?

Is it very important for us to wear surgical bra 24-7 for few months? If so, why? I wonder if I can wear sport bra because its comfortable than surgical bra.

Type of Bras for After Surgery?

+1

Thank you for your question. A sports bra is fine as long as you can adjust the straps, which is usually an issue.  There should be adjustable straps you can fit 2-3 fingers under so the breast is not overly supported.  This allows the breast to descend in the pocket.  Over supported and they heal in too high and the pocket forms too high on the chest wall.  If you have a sports bra that is not overly tight or one with straps that are not too tight, then it will work fine. I hope this helps.

Danville Plastic Surgeon

Type of bra after breast augmentation

+1

A good support bra is all that is required after surgery.  If you can get this degree of support from a sports bra then this is completely acceptable.  

Type of bra after surgery

+1

Every surgeon has their own experience . I personally prefer cotton sports bra for at least 6 weeks ( they are cheap, easy to find , easy to wash and comfortable) .  

As general guidelines : no wire , no lace or seams on cup area , no non-breathable  fabrics for the first 4-6 weeks . 

Best wishes 

Katherine Feliz Camilo, MD

No Bra Needed

+1

I recommend a sports bra for a week after surgery and then I am ok with a patient continuing the sports bra for another 3 weeks but it is ok if take it off and use nothing sporadically. I have never seen an incision open accept for cases of sexual misadventure early on. Wire bra ok after a month. I think the strap on upper pole of the breast for 2 weeks is more important than presence of bra

Joshua B. Hyman, MD

Bra was are worn continuously for several weeks after breast augmentation primarily for comfort.

+1

Which type of bra is to be worn and how often will be determined by your surgeon. In my practice we asked that the patient's where a bra when they are up in about for at least a month. At other times they will wear them for comfort.

Bra advice

+1

Here's what we suggest:  No underwire bra x 4 weeks (wear a sports bra during this time).  After that, assuming normal healing of your incision, you may wear any kind of bra you like.

But, I would suggest you speak with your surgeon first.  If internal suturing (plication stitches) were placed, for example, you may be in a different category than someone who just had a routine breast augmentation.

Thomas Fiala, MD

Type of Bras for After Surgery?

+1

As I wouldn't want another surgeon advising my patients site unseen, I prefer not to do so to another's patient.

I can say that our instructions are guidelines, and are not immutable, so a call to your doc should get you the right response. All the best.