What Type of Anesthesia Do You Recommend for a Facelift/upper and Lower Eyelid Surgery?

Is twilight anesthesia safe for a 4+ hour facelift, bleph. upper and lower

Twilight Anesthesia with Local Anesthesia is a Safe Option for Most Facelift Patients

+1

IV Sedation also called "Twilight Anesthesia with Local Anesthesia Safe Option for Most Facelift Patients

Anesthesia Choices for Facial Aesthetic Surgery such as a mini-lift depend on several factors.
First off, I do not think the type of anesthesia influences either the recovery time or the amount of bruising. Although it is possible to do all of these procedures under local anesthesia - your comfort is the most important concern. You will have to lie still for hours and you will be aware in many cases of injections. For procedures more than 3-4 hours I would recommend IV sedation or a general anesthesia. The IV sedation for most means that you will remember little of most of the procedure and sleep for the majority of it. It is a good choice with less risks than a general anesthetic For local anesthesia cases I usually give Ativan or Valium before hand and most sleep for most of the cases without the need for an IV in healthy patients

Anesthesia options for facelift/blepharoplasty

+1

A facelift can be performed either under "twilight sleep", also known as local with intravenous sedation, or under general anesthesia.  This is entirely a matter of preference both for the surgeon and the patient.  The key is to have experienced surgeons and anesthesiologists in an accredited facility who can tailor the anesthesia and the surgeon to fit your personal goals and needs.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Safety First

+1

With any elective procedure, the patient's safety should always come first!  Whichever surgeon you are planning to have the procedure done with, I would recommend that you discuss your concerns with him/her.  For me, the anesthesiologist administering the anesthesia is very important, so I hand pick my board certified anesthesiologists and surgical team who are familiar with my standard procedures, etc.  A facelift can be done with either type of anesthesia, but your surgeon will let you know which they prefer for your particular case.

Kimberly Lee, MD

Anesthesia for cosmetic procedure

+1

Facial surgery including a facelift can easily be performed under either a general or IV sedation anesthesia. In the past,most patients of mine preferred the latter but now it seems most patients want to be "out"! So, it really depends on your prefeence. You should be aware though that if you are a nervous person, it may take a lot of IV sedation and you may still be aware of what is going on. The recovery would probably be quicker. In either case, the anesthesia should be administered by an MD anesthesiologist whose only job is to keep you comfortable through the procedure and make sure you have a gentle recovery! The operation should also be done in a certified facility. 

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

+1

I have been performing Face Lifts and Eyelid Surgeries for over 20 years and while Face Lifts can be performed under local, IV sedation and a general anesthesia...it's best to have a general anesthetic when having eyelid surgery IMO.  The newer lower eyelid surgery technique is performed through the lower eyelid which would be very difficult on the patient if a local anesthetic were used.  IV sedation would be better however, with that level of anesthesia movements by the patient can not be ruled out which could lead to a problem during the lower eyelid surgery.

IMHO, safety should lawys be the number one priority followed by the peroper aesthetics.  In this case, if you decide to have a minimal incision Face Lift this could be easilly done under local or IV sedation.  If you choose to add the eyelid surgery, IMO, it would be best for you to have a general anesthetic.  Hope this helps.

Anesthesia for a facelift and eyelid surgery ?

+1

As you can see from the diverse opinions,  I.V. sedation or General anesthesia can be perfectly well suited for your planned surgery.

The important considerations for you  are: You are comfortable and your anesthesia is safe. Your surgeon can do the procedure without having to worry about your comfort.

Both types of anesthesia can achieve this. As a surgeon I like to have an Anesthesiologist (M.D.) providing anesthesia (of his choice) that I can fully concentrate on the surgical aspect of the operation.

Guido P. Gutter MD
Evansville Plastic Surgeon

Anesthesia for facelift

+1

Either general or IV sedation are safe. I prefer general as it tends to be a bit smoother. When performed and monitored by a professional anesthetist you should be fine. Go with whatever your surgeon prefers. 

Ronald Schuster, MD

+1

I prefer either endo tracheal general or twilight sedation. It depends on the patient, the exact correct sought, medical issues. 

Local Anesthesia for a Facelift

+1

Twilight is totally fine.  You won't remember anything, really, if it's true twilight sedation.  I commonly perform full facelifts under straight local anesthesia along with eyelid surgery and the patient do great.  You finish the case wide awake feeling fine under local.  With twilight you'll be a little groggy.  There's a theoretical reduced risk with twilight or local versus general anesthesia. 

You'll do fine.

Dr. Chase Lay

Chase Lay, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

The person giving the anesthesia is more important than the type of anesthesia

+1

The two sides, general vs. I.V. sedation, for facelift surgery will continue to argue with each other until long after I retire, which I don't plan on doing for many years.  There are advantages to both and disadvantages to both. The most important consideration is not the type of anesthesia being given but who is delivering it.  The anesthesia should be given by an experienced board certified anesthesiologist or certified nurse anesthetist (CRNA) who is being supervised by an anesthesiologist.  There is actually very little difference between a 'light' general anesthetic and a 'heavy' I.V. sedation.

James McMahan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon