What Type of Anesthesia is Used for Mommy Makeover? Does This Sound Safe?

2 consults & I really like the pictures with choice #2. I am doing a breast aug and a regular tummy tuck also lipo of flanks/hips/outer thighs in his office & thats the problem. The doctor (he is board certified) and said that I will be under but not the same as general anthestesia? I told him that I get really sick after surgery (kidney stone removed) puked for 3 consecutive days afterwards. He said that this type of anethesia is safer. What anesthesia is he refering to?in office sound safe?

Types of anesthesia

Hello littlefizzer,

There are four main type of anesthesias:

-local (numbing medication is injected into the area of the surgery)

-regional (spinal, epidural, axillary blocks, etc.  the whole segment becomes numb)

-IV sedation (propofol medication in your IV, you breath on your own, usually no tube in your mouth or throat)

-general anesthesia (deep IV or gas anesthesia, there is a tube to protect your airway).

For a tummy tuck and breast augmentation as well as liposuction I would recommend either IV sedation or general anesthesia.  Either one or the other should be performed in an accredited facility by a board certified anesthesiologist.  The chances of nausea after IV sedation is less as well as with well trained anesthesiologists.

Dr Remus Repta

Safe anesthesia for mommy makeover

First let me suggest that you ask for a prescription of a medication called Emend that you would take before surgery to prevent nausea after. We use this for patients who have a history of nausea after anesthesia and it has been 100% effective at preventing it (but it only works if you take it before.) If your anesthesia will be provided by either a CRNA nurse anesthetist or an MD anesthesiologist, in an accredited surgical facility, then you should expect that it will be done with your safety as a priority. Either general anesthesia or deep monitored sedation can be done safely.

Richard Baxter, MD

Mommy makeover anesthesia

I would not recommend local anesthesia or even monitored IV sedation for the mommy makeover procedure.  This is an extensive surgery with multiple components.  The benefit of general anesthesia is that you have a protected airway during the entire procedure.  This is much safer then what you describe.

For my mommy makeovers, I do all the procedures in a free-standing accredited hospital. In addition, I have the patients stay overnight where they can be monitored by an RN and have their pain controlled with IV medication when necessary. The RN helps them ambulate in the morning and teaches them drain care as well.

When considering a comprehensive surgery such as the mommy makeover, look at several board certified plastic surgeons and choose the safest option over all others!

Anesthesia for Mommy Makeover

It is important that your anesthesia is administered by a board certified MD anesthesiologist. MAC anesthesia or general anesthesia can be administered . The choice would depend upon the preference of the patient, the anesthesiologist and the plastic surgeon. I always work with a board certified anesthesiologist who remains at the bedside of my patients throughout the surgical procedure n my Joint Commission and AAAASF accredited surgical suite.

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

In our practice, the anesthesiologist is an important member of your care team!

Although a variety of anesthetic techniques are currently available for Mommy Makeover surgery, general anesthesia is used in the vast majority of cases.The Mommy Makeover procedure has the potential to last for 4 to 6 hours.For this reason, placement of a breathing tube to protect the airway is considered the safest approach to anesthesia.
When these procedures are performed, safety should be everyone’s first priority.For this reason, we feel that the procedure should be performed in an accredited outpatient surgery center with a board certified anesthesiologist in attendance.We also feel that the procedure should be performed by a board certified plastic surgeon.
If you’re concerned about safety, it’s important to have a candid conversation with your surgeon.Under these circumstances, he may be willing to alter your anesthesia plan.

Use general anesthesia for mommy makeover / Use anestesia general para cirugia de cambio de imagen

Even though some surgeons will do a mommy make over with alternative methods, I only recommend general anesthesia.  There are several reasons for this:  The first being a mommy makeover is multiply surgerys, possible in multiply positions.  This makes it harder to get the desired level of anesthesia through out the entire case.  The second is that having general anesthesia is probable simpler for the surgeon.  Third this surgery should be done in an accredited facility with competent and board certified anesthesia providers.  This type of surgery is not a place to save money on the facility. Insist on seeing the credentials of the facility and providers.

Good luck with your surgery.

Anire Okpaku MD

Apesar de que algunos cirujanos hagan la cirugia de cambio de imagen atraves de metodos alternativos, Yo recomiendo anestesia general solamente. Hay varias razones: La primera es que el cambio de imagen incluye multiples cirugias, en multiples posiciones posiblemente.  Esto hace mas dificil llegar a un nivel indicado de anestesia durante todo el procedimiento. Segundo, la anestesia general es probablemente mas simple para el cirujano. Tercero, la cirugia puede ser realizada en un centro acreditado con la asistencia de anestesiologos certificados. Este tipo de cirugia no puede ahorrar en la seguridad del centro medico. Insista ver las credenciales de ambos centro medico y sus doctores.

Suerte en su cirugia.

Anire Okpaku MD

Anire Okpaku, MD FACS

Anesthesia with a mommy makeover

I usually recommend general anesesthsia for surgery taking more than 2 hours.  Also, I bring my patients to a hospital for these longer surgeries as an added safety measure.

Anesthesia for your Mommy Makeover

Some surgeons prefer tradition general anesthesia (involves a temporary breathing tube or laryngeal mask) or TIVA (total IV anesthesia), which does not require a temporary breathing tube, but also can be a form of IV induced general anesthesia.    Both are good options.   Regardless of anesthesia type, please make sure 1) your plastic surgeon is board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and 2) your procedure is done in a fully accredited facility (approved by AAAASF, JCAHO, or AAAHC). Hope this helps!

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

Ask lots of questions

In general, a tummy tuck/lipo & breast augmentation is done under general anesthesia.

However, doing this type of surgery under IV sedation and local (tumescent) anesthesia is completely safe provided that the anesthetic is being administered by a board-certified anesthesiologist in an accredited surgical facility.  Anesthetic complications can occur with any type of anesthesia, and nothing is fool-proof.

Make sure you ask questions before your surgery.  A board-certified plastic surgeon and anesthesiologist will be able to help steer you in the right direction.

Hope this helps,

Dr. Hall

Jason J. Hall, MD, FACS
Knoxville Plastic Surgeon

Anesthesia for Tummy Tuck Surgery

There are many types of anesthesia but I only perform the mommy makeover surgery under general anesthesia.  This is a large operation and I would want the patient to be comfortable through out the procedure.

Please make sure your surgeon is well experienced and board certified.