What Type of Anesthesia is Used for a Breast Lift?

I had a consult with a doctor that gave me two options of anesthesia, GA or LA with an oral anesthesia? There is about a $2000 difference.

General anesthesia versus oral sedation and local

Thank you for your question. Both types of anesthesia can provide a safe and comfortable platform for breast lift surgery but may vary with degree of breast lifting that you are needing.  The more invasive, the more likely you will want to be asleep.  
It is more important, however, that you feel comfortable with your surgeon and the surgical plan as this is ultimately what you will be remembering after the procedure.

Type of Anesthesia is Used for a Breast Lift

LA is commonly done for patients who can not have general anesthesia or at centers who do not have accreditation. In almost all cases, general anesthesia is the safer and more comfortable option. It would be wise and more comfortable to have the surgery with general anesthesia.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Anesthesia For Breast Lift?

A variety of different types of anesthesia may be used for breast lifting surgery depending on the type of surgery being done and the surgeons/ patients preferences.
In my practice, the majority of breast surgery  is done under general anesthesia.

Anesthesia for breast lift

For a breast, lift I recommend that my patients have the procedure performed under general anesthesia. Make certain that your plastic surgeon  and anesthesiologist  are board certified and that your facility is accredited. Best wishes!

Christine Sullivan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Anesthesia for Breast Lift

Either local or general anesthesia can be used.
General anesthesia. You are asleep.
Local anesthesia. The particular location that requires surgery is numb. 

Anesthesia for breast lift

A third option would be IV sedation with local anesthesia.  The anesthesiologist starts an IV and gets you sedated while the Plastic surgeon injects local anesthesia.  Once this is done the surgical area will be numb and the anesthesiologist simply keeps you comfortable with very small amounts of medication so that you are not anxious about the procedure.  This is a viable alternative for those that have significant nausea following general anesthesia or simply uncomfortable about the idea of general anesthesia.

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Best anesthesia for a breast lift

My recommendation would be that if you only need a small lift, local anesthesia would be fine. For a lift requiring more than 2cm., general anesthesia would be best.  Hope this helps!

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

I agree with Dr. Rand. Minimal forms of Breast Lifting could be done under local anestesia (such as Crescent Lifts) but a Breast Lift is similar to a Facelift in that borth require meticulous tailoring of the excess skin BEFORE any incisions are made. More time is needed to nicely stitch the breast skin together. As a result, general anesthesia is often the most comfortable alternative.

Dr. Peter A Aldea

Breast lift anesthesia

A breast lift takes time and artistry.  I'd recommend a physician MD under general anesthesia in an accreditied facility for the best and safets outcome.