Can my Type of "African American" Nose Be Fixed

Been looking for a surgeon for 6 years. Spent over $600 so far on a hand full of consultations, still no luck. Can my nose be fixed the way I want it? I live in Georgia near the Savannah area. My nose looks wide from the front, wider from the side. It hangs and almost touches my top lip. The skin on the tip looks thick, but does not feel as thick as it looks. my bridge is flat and wide. I'd like my bridge narrowed and raised, nostrils narrowed, and the tip raised/refined.

African-American Rhinoplasty

+3

African-American rhinoplasty can be performed with a high success rate.  All your areas of concern can be addressed.  No matter whether a surgeon performs an ethnic or non-ethnic rhinoplasty there are limitations to corrections.

Good Luck.

Dr. ES

African American Rhinoplasty - Too Difficult to Fix?

+2

Basically, everything that you want done seems reasonable to me. The question is why you haven't found someone who has earned your trust or who seems to be able to present a reasonable plan to you. First, start with someone who has the interest and the experience with nasal surgery - all the better if he's done a lot of African American noses. Even a specialist cannot change everything about every nose, but he will deliver the result that's closest to your expectations. Nasal bridge augmentation, narrowing of the bridge, nostrils and shaping/refinement of the tip are all possible with your nose. It is a more involved Rhinoplasty than many of course but definitely worth pursuing if you yourself have reasonable expectations and are deemed a good candidate by your surgeon. Best of Luck  Dr Harrell

Jon F. Harrell, DO

African American nose and rhinoplasty

+2
It is very important to have realistic expectations for ethnic rhinoplasty prior to undergoing surgery. Look for a surgeon who has performed thousands of rhinoplasty surgeries. During the rhinoplasty procedure, the tip can be narrowed with suture techniques to the lower lateral cartilages and the bridge can  be narrowed with medial and lateral osteotomies and an alarplasty can be performed to reduce wide nostrils. For many examples, please see the link below to our rhinoplasty photo  gallery  

African-American Nose

+2

There are many experienced surgeons who do rhinoplasties on African-American patients. The key to your question is asking if the nose can be "fixed the way I want it". A good surgeon will help you establish reasonable expectations.  

African American rhinoplasty is common and usually addresses the areas that concern you.

+2

African American rhinoplasty is common and typically addresses the round full wide low tip and the low and wide upper part of the nose.  All the things that you are looking for are usually part of an African American rhinoplasty procedure.  You just haven't found the right plastic surgeon yet.  Good luck!

Dr. Parham Ganchi

Parham Ganchi, PhD, MD
Wayne Plastic Surgeon

Ethnic rhinoplasty, rhioplasty, revision rhinoplasty, Dr. Whitfield, whitfieldplasticsurgery.com

+2

I agree with Dr. Naderi in that some who performs a number of rhinoplasties as well as complicated secondary and tertiary rhinoplasties will be more than capable of providing you with an appropriate surgical result.

Robert Whitfield, MD, FACS

Rhinoplasty for African American Nose

+2

You have common concerns that are treated with dorsal augmentation and columella struts and probably weir excisions ot narrow the base.

Rhinoplasty in african american patients.

+2

Yes, all the issues you addressed can be done and with a natural nose. You should see live patients that the surgeon has done and he should do a large number of them. We have our patients meet with patients we have in other parts of the country.

"african american" nose

+2

Very difficult to change but yes it can be done. It may take 2 operations. Continue the search until you find a surgeon you feel comfortable with. Best of Luck from MIAMI DR. B