Will Wearing Compression Longer Produce Better Results After Tummy Tuck?

Does wearing compression longer than the first initial weeks do anything for the final results of a tummy tuck? I know there are mixed feelings about the necessity of compression at all but I've heard that wearing it longer helps the body to conform to its new shape better.

Compression after Tummy Tuck Surgery?

+1

Patients should always check with their own plastic surgeon when it comes to specifics after tummy tuck surgery. In my practice, I find the use of some type of compression garment helpful during the first 6 to 8 weeks after the procedure is performed.

Often, as patients become more active and return to exercise, abdominal wall swelling increases. The use of compression garments helps “control” the swelling.

After a few months,  swelling dissipates as the venous and lymphatic channels  begin to function normally.

Some patients simply feel more “comfortable” with the additional support provided by the compressive garments.  There is no evidence however that the final result is improved with the use of these comments however.

Results after Tummy Tuck

+1

The Colombians have vast experience using compressive garments for remodeling the body while undergoing weghtloss or after undergoing surgeries or deliveries. My experience of over twenty years has only reinforced my impressions that they work and are effective.

Mel T. Ortega, MD

Compression Garments After Tummy Tuck

+1

I feel strongly that wearing a compression garment or a Spanx especially for the first two weeks day and night is very important in shaping the final contour and decreasing swelling and bruising after liposuction. Many of my patients wear it for weeks post operatively.

Rod J. Rohrich, MD

Compression after Tummy Tuck

+1

I recommend wearing the compression garments around the clock for 3 weeks after a tummy tuck and at night for an additional 3 weeks.  The more you wear the garment the better and you will not hurt your results by wearing it longer.

Sacha Obaid, MD

Compression Garments after Tummy Tuck

+1

In general, I recommend the compression garment after tummy tuck or liposuction for 4 to 6 weeks.   Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Compressive garments have only modest effect on the outcome after abdominoplasty

+1

Most surgeons require the use of a compressive garment for several weeks after in abdominoplasty. Longer use probably has minimal if any effect on the long-term outcome. Nevertheless, it does no harm in it the surgeon feels there might be some benefit the patient should honor his request that the garment the worn.

Length of Garment Wear after Tummy Tuck

+1

I think there is a point of diminishing returns for compression wear after a tummy tuck. I have my patients wear their garments as long as it feels better on than off. I do not believe that long-term results are highly influenced by prolonged garment wear.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Compression garments

+1

Thanks for an excellent question.  I personally believe the longer you can wear your compression garments the better the results.  Good luck.

Vishnu Rumalla, MD