Tydall/lower Eye Surgery for Correction After Restylane Gave Me Bluish Bags/Hollows?

Believe or not, 5 years ago I had restylane injections done under both eyes to fill in hollow lower eyes. I still have bluish bags under both....I also still had/have the hollows as well. I would like to have lower eyelid surgery to fix the hollows, but need to know will this fix the tydall marks as well? BTW....doc denies it is still restylane...but I never had these marks before restylane. I have seen his surgery work, and he does good eye lifts. Please give me some advise....thank you!

Restylane and longevity

+1

Without first viewing photo's of the treatment you are referring to, it is very difficult to answer this question. You should consider posting photo's and also have a second opinion with a reputable and well-trained injector.

Tyndall effect after 5 years?

+1

Restylane will not last five years it is extremely unlikely that this is the case. More likely from thinning tissues over vascularized muscle.  Good luck.

Tyndall effect of Restylane

+1

I doubt that the bluish discoloration is from the Restylane at this point, 5 years later. It is probably from loss of volume and possibly the visibility of fine blood vessels. If you like the eyelid surgery from your surgeon, go for it. Discuss these issues with him/her.

Ronald Schuster, MD

Under Eye Discoloration Can Have Multiple Causes

+1

Hyaluronic acid fillers in the lower eyelid can produce the Tyndall effect, and there are numerous questions and complaints about this occurrence on this site.

Restylane used to treat tear trough deformities likely lasts between 6-12 months. The hollows you see under your eye five years later are the result of the absence of any Restylane still being present, and further aging that has occurred. Under eye discoloration can be related to pigment, bulging lower eyelid fat, visible vessels and vascular congestion, and crepiness of the skin; often a multimodality approach is the most successful. Treatment may involve eyelid creams, bleachers, surgery, vascular lasers, and/or laser skin resurfacing.

The (bluish) discoloration is likely related to visible vessels and venous congestion in the lower eyelid. If the hollows are deep, shadowing may play a role as well. Surgery may help the bags (prominent lower eyelid fat) and reduce the shadowing. Lasers (usually 3-5 treatments) can be successfully used to diminish the appearance and prominence of the vessels in the lower eyelid. I have found this treatment to be very successful.

Have a detailed discussion about your eyelids and periorbital area with your physician so you understand what treatments you require.

Best wishes, Ken Dembny

Kenneth Dembny, II, MD
Milwaukee Plastic Surgeon

Tyndall Effect from Restylane under the Eyes

+1

It is highly unlikely that any Restylane is present under your eyes after 5 years.  What you are probably seeing is the normal blood vessels under your eyes that have become more apparent with the changes that occur around our eyes as we age.  If there is any doubt that you still have Restylane present, a small amount of Hyaluronidase should dissolve any remaining product.  You may need surgery to correct your problem at this time!   

Sheri G. Feldman, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologist