What Type of Garments & Scar Treatment Do I Need?

I am having a mommy makeover in January involving a tummy tuck,breast lift w/slight reduction,lipo of the chin,flanks,hips,back,braline,lat chest & inner thighs! The dr sd they will provide 2 garments but w/several things being done at once I have no idea what they are giving me & would like to buy extra ahead of time. Would also like advice on types of scar treatment that's best...for tummy,belly button,breast,chin,lipo areas,etc,thanks!

Scar care after tummy tuck

+1
Thank you for your post. In tummy tuck and other lift/tightening surgeries, tension is the enemy. The scar is healing gradually over 12 weeks or so, and until it is strong, it is the weakest link. As there is a great deal of tension in tummy tucks, body lifts, breast lifts, etc., the scar is at high risk of 'stretching' or widening. Silicone sheeting, although having the ability to make a scar flat, does nothing to prevent stretching of the scar. Creams or steroids or lasers also do not have the ability to prevent stretching of the scar. Those are used if scar is thick or dark, but not to reduce the wideness of the scar, which is the main problem. Massage also does not help keep the scar thin, and can actually worsen the scar in the first 12 weeks because you are actually adding tension to the scar. Massage is for softening a hard or thick scar, but if used early, will hasten the scar widening. Only tension reduction has the ability to keep the scar as thin as possible. You may notice in a lot of tummy tuck scars that the center portion of the scar is the widest with the sides toward the hips being the thinnest. This is because the maximum tension is at the center, and least amount on the sides. Embrace removes a lot of the tension by putting more tension on the skin on either side of the incision and drawing the incision together. It is expensive though at about $100 per week for 12 weeks. When patients do not want to spend the money for embrace, I tape the incision trying to remove as much tension as possible for 12 weeks and recommend no stretching back and to sit most of the time, keeping tension off the scar.
Pablo Prichard, MD

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Compression Garments and Scar Creams

+1

Always use the compression garments recommended as the surgeon knows what works with what is done during the surgery.  Every surgeon is different in management and surgical technique.  Scar creams should not be used immediately following surgery, and time works much better than any cream.

Most of the results of healing after surgery is governed by genetics.

+1

Scar creams don't work.  Don't waste your money. Compressive garments may yield slightly smoother results in the short term but their value is questionable long term.  Do as your surgeon says but most of your healing is governed by nature (your genetics.)

Type of garments

+1

Every surgeon manages different types of garments, thees will protect your body while maintaining the shape the doctor has sculpted for your new body.
Most Certified Plastic Surgeons will recommend to get them at the office after your surgery, by then you will know your new garment size, at our office we get our garments specially made just for the hour glass shape that we normally work on. so any other common garment wont help you keep the same shape.

Good luck.

Jaime Campos Leon, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Mommy Makeover Aftercare?

+1

Congratulations on your decision to proceed with mommy makeover surgery. You will find that there are many different ways to treat postoperative patients, including the use of garments and/or scar treatments. Therefore, you will find the most precise advice (pertaining to your situation)  obtainable from your plastic surgeon.

Some general words of advice I give to my patients about to undergo mommy makeover surgery may be helpful to you:

1. Make sure you are doing the procedure for the right reasons (for yourself)  and that you have realistic expectations.  Be aware that an improvement in the “problem area” may not translate to an overall improvement in your life   situation.  You are bound to be disappointed with results of the procedure if your motivation for doing the surgery is not internally driven.

2. Time your surgery carefully; generally, it is not a good idea to have surgery done during or immediately after a stressful period in life (for example divorce or death of a loved one). The additional stress of surgery will undoubtedly be  more challenging to deal with if a patient's emotional reserves our already exhausted. Remember, that an improvement in your physical appearance will not translate to an improvement in your life situation.

3. If possible speak to patients who have undergone similar procedures and query them about the toughest times of their recovery period. Any practical hints previous patients can provide may be very helpful.

4. Make sure you are aware of potential complications that may arise how to reach your surgeon if necessary.

5. Make sure you have a strong and patient support system (several people if possible) in place who have time/patience to take care of you. Arrange for professional nursing if any doubt exists regarding the availability and/or stamina  of your caretakers.

6. Be patient with the healing process, understanding that it will take several weeks to months to feel “normal” again. It may also take many months/year to see the end results of your surgery.

7. Be prepared to distract your mind with things of interest such as books, magazines, and movies.

8. Expect less of yourself; do not go back to work, school or chores too early and let others take care of you (for a change).

9. Pick your surgeon carefully (a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon) and trust in his/her advice. Keep in close communication with your surgeon and do not hesitate to communicate questions/concerns and the   emotional swings that you may experience.

10. Resume all medications that you were using preoperatively when cleared by your plastic surgeon and stop the use of narcotics and sedatives as soon as feasible after surgery.

11. Keep in mind the end results as you go through the tougher emotional times after your surgery.

Garment options

+1

Before your spend any money find out what they PS is giving you so that you don't buy too many of the same. Once you know what's covered and if you still have a need, then get some additional garments. The nurses at the PS office may actually have some great suggestions for you. Ask them about scar care too! Best wishes - Dr. Aldo

Aldo Guerra, MD

Garments and scar treatments

+1

For your procedures, you will probably need a garment that will compress the areas you are having work on.  It's good that you are being given two garments so that you can alternate between the two.  Generally, people do not need scar treatments in my practice as most people end up with scars that are minimal.  As a result, we do not recommend scar treatments for everyone as most people do not need them.

Shim Ching, MD
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Hello

+1

In our practice we always advice our own patients on what they should be doing for scar therapy. You need to talk to your PS to get his advice. Every practice is different. There are silicone sheets, for tummy and breast.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS