My Nose Has a Crooked Bridge with a Hump Protruding out of the Top Left. Can It Be Corrected? (Photos)

It has been like this for around 17yrs. There is a chronic pain (which is manageable though very discomforting) on the upper left side of my nose with periodic pain along my left jaw and cheek with an occasional burning sensation under my left eye. Would septoplasty or rhinoplasty correct the appearance and reduce the discomfort associated with this? Would it eventually revert back even with any type of surgery? I was hoping for some preliminary opinions and I appreciate any input.

Rhinoplasty to Correct Hump

+1

The appearance of the hump on the bridge of you nose can be easily corrected with Rhinoplasty.  However, the first step would be to determine the underlying cause of the pain you are experiencing.  Rhinoplasty will be relieve the discomfort and  even have a small chance of worsening after the procedure. 

Rhinoplasty

+1

Your photos indicate that you are a good candidate for a rhinoplasty from a cosmetic standpoint.  What is not clear is why you are having chronic pain and if surgery will affect it.  I would recommend you undergo a CAT scan to see if there is any problem involving the sinuses.  Chronic sinusitis could explain the pain and could be treated at the same time as the rhinoplasty.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Rhinoplasty for Crooked Bridge and Nasal Hump

+1

A rhinoplasty could be done to remove the hump, refine your tip, and narrow the base of your nose. A septoplasty should also be done if you have any breathing problems. You should be examined to determine the cause of your pain and discomfort which is probably not related to your nasal complaints.

Based on your photos, you appear to be a candidate for Rhinoplasty Surgery.

+1

I reviewed your photos and your concerns:

From an aesthetic standpoint, you appear to have a wide nose, a wide tip, and a prominent profile hump. These issues may be addressed with well-performed Rhinoplasty Surgery.

Im not sure if your left cheek and jaw pain are related to your nose. In my experience, I have seen post-traumatic nasal bumps and local pain improve after the bump is removed, but this is not clear in your situation. You may consider consulting a reputable, experienced rhinoplasty surgeon,so you could see what might be best for you.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Joseph.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

My Nose Has a Crooked Bridge with a Hump Protruding out of the Top Left. Can It Be Corrected?

+1

You ARE a candidate for rhinoplasty or septorhinoplasty (if you have trouble breathing) surgery. Your concerns are very common and can be permanently addressed with surgery. With regard to the pain you're experiencing, surgery should not make it worse but it is unlikely that surgery will improve the discomfort that you're having. I would recommend following up with your primary care doctor with regard to the pain. They might consider referral to a neurologist to get to the bottom of that. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Yes, and maybe

+1

While I agree you are a good candidate for cosmetic surgery to reshape your nose, you would also potentially benefit from improvement in your breathing, if this is an issue for you. That said, there are instances, although more common in patients with previous surgery in their nose, where surgery might be of benefit to improve your discomfort. I do not think this would be able to be guaranteed by any means and a physical exam and careful history would be necessary to properly evaluate you. 

Colin Pero, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty and pain issues

+1

A rhinoplasty can improve the shape of the nose, but will not have any impact on any chronic pain issues that you may have.

My Nose Has a Crooked Bridge and Hump

+1

Dear txnose,

Nose reshaping surgery (aka rhinoplasty, septorhinoplasty) can help straighten a crooked nose and remove a hump on the bridge. Unfortunately, rhinoplasty is unlikely to improve any chronic pain you may have in the area.

Please see an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon for an evaluation and to discuss your concerns.

Warmest wishes,

Larry Fan, MD 

Larry Fan, MD

Crooked Bridge with a Hump

+1

Based on your photos it appears that you would be a good candidate for surgery for cosmetic reasons, but an in person examination would be essential.  The pain and discomfort you describe may not be relieved with surgery

Sam Naficy, MD