Is Two Weeks a Resonable Amount of Time for Recovery from Breast Augmentation?

Is two weeks a reasonable amount of time to recover from breast augmentation and fat grafting to the glutes at the same time?? What can I expect during recovery??

Recovery time

+2
Ordinarily, my patients with desk jobs take off one week after augment surgery. However, as you will also be undergoing fat grafting to the gluts, your recovery will be longer. You should be able to return to work after two weeks but may still be swollen and sore as a consequence. Good luck!

Breast augmentation recovery

+2

Absolutely!  Two weeks should be enough time to recover after a breast augmentation.  After your surgery, you will most likely be very sore for the first two or three days.  After that initial period of soreness, it's all uphill -- you should be able to work, drive, take care of yourself, etc.,  I would suggest that you check with your plastic surgeon about his (or her) recommendations about when you will be able to start more strenuous activities like exercising.  

As for the fat grafting, the recovery will depend on how much fat grafting you are having done.  You will most likely be very sore and bruised for a week or so.  Once again, check with your surgeon about any activity restrictions.

Good luck!.

Anureet K. Bajaj, MD
Oklahoma City Plastic Surgeon

Recovery From Breast Augmentation

+2

A few days is generally all that is necessary to recover from breast augmentation.  You may still have some soreness, but you will be able to get along with your normal activities.  As for the fat grafting to your buttocks, it really depends on the extent of grafting and the harvest areas.

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

Yes

+2

Should be more than enough, but as I am not doing your surgery, ask your plastic surgeon, each of us uses a slightly different technique and has different restrictions

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Two Week Recovery After Breast Augmentation

+2

Two weeks should be enough time to be able to recover from the acute phase of the breast augmentation, but you still will be recovering in terms of breast position and implant settling. There may be restrictions related to the fat grafting, but overall recovery should be well under way at 2 weeks.

Vincent Marin, MD

Vincent P. Marin, MD

Recovery

+2

The amount of time needed depends on how one defines it. If you are talking about exercise or rock climbing absolutely not. If you are concerned with getting up and down and driving then yes

Michael Hueneke, MD

Recovery after Breast Augmentation?

+2

Two weeks is certainly enough “recovery time” for most activities after breast  augmentation surgery. You should check with your plastic surgeon in regards to the fact grafting procedure and the specific activities you wish to return to.

BBA

+1

It really depends on a few factors. Adequate pain control is likely the most important. Individual pain tolerance differs greatly. I find that women who have had children generally have less post-op pain, as they have a much higher pain tolerance. From a surgical point of view, there are several things the surgeon/anaesthesiologist can do to decrease your post-op pain.

I generally perform breast blocks prior to making any incisions with a mix of short- and long-acting local anaesthetics. I have found this greatly reduces post-op pain. I also encourage patients to take the prescribed pain killers regularly every 4 hours especially for the first 24-48 hours. If you don't stay on top of the pain in the immediate post-operative period, it is extremely difficult to "catch-up". Most of my patients experience very little post-op pain after breast augmentation.

Of course, the type of augmentation you have will also determine your post-operative discomfort. Larger implants, and subpectoral implant placement will also increase post-op discomfort. This doesn't mean you shouldn't get large implants, or place them under the muscle - you simply need to know what to expect. Many women also experience difficulty with sleeping in the first few weeks after augmentation due to the weight of the implants on their chest. This is more significant in back-sleepers.

To answer your question about time off work, my experience has been that there is a huge range. I have patients that go back to work the next day (against my advice), and I have had patients take as much as 2 weeks off of work. It really depends on what you do for work, and how you feel. As for taking care of your kids, if your implant is placed under the muscle, it will be a few weeks before you feel comfortable enough to pick them up.

As for scars, I tell patients it will take a year to see the absolute final result. Practically, however, by 3-6 months the scar will be very close to the final result. I suggest 3M paper taping, and have a specific scar massage protocol I use to help speed scar resolution.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

Sincerely,

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)

The turn around time for Breast Implants.

+1

Usually I ask that patients to take a two week recovery period. It is important to give your body the necessary time without putting strain on your new implants. Heavy lifting may cause implants to shift as well as a longer healing process.

Alfred Sofer, MD, FACS
Fairfield Plastic Surgeon

Yes two weeks should be enough time

+1

Yes, most people resume activities of daily living within 3-5 days after breast augmentation. You will likely return to a desk job within a week. I do not recommend any strenous activity such as weight lifting, yoga, pilates, cycling, or any activity involving the pec muscle for six weeks.  Discuss specific restrictions and instructions with your plastic surgeon. Best of luck for a speedy recovery.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS