Two Weeks Post Op. One Breast is More Swollen Than the Other. Hematoma? (photo)

So I've been healing pretty quickly and steadily, the incisions all look fine. I have some shooting pains and my nipples go from numb to sensitive but overall I have feeling. However, one breast feels much larger than the other and it also looks like it hangs lower. The nipple is also on a different side, it's not facing forward like the other one. Is this swelling normal? Are they just healing at different rates? WIll this eventually go away and they'll match up?

Breast Asymmetry

+1

Based on your photos alone, it does not appear that you have a hematoma.  Usually that happens immediately after surgery and there would be a much larger difference in size and you would have a significant amount of pain.  Without the benefit of seeing your pre op photos, my guess is that you were somewhat asymmetrical prior to surgery as most women are.  Two weeks is far too early to judge your result.  Your breasts will continue to heal and settle which might take three to four months.

Asymmetry post op

+1

Looking at your pictures, it does not seem that you have a hematoma and all looks well. Asymmetries and different healing timelines are very common in breast surgery.  Unfortunately, your breasts do not communicate with each other to synchronize healing. Please do communicate your concerns with your plastic surgeon who is in the best position to answer your questions.

Kevin Tehrani, MD, FACS

Healing after breast augmentation mastopexy

+1

healing after breast augmentation mastopexy

you appear to be doing very well with an awesome result at this time..  normal bruising swelling and symmetry

well done

Recoverying from a lift-augmentation

+1

and you appear to be healing quite well.  Some asymmetries will persist no matter how great your surgeon is or how perfect the procedure goes.  If its mild, it shouldn't be an issue as you heal more.  If a cup size different, you should feel comfortable to discuss your concerns with your surgeon.  At this time, your photos show great results.

Curtis Wong, MD

+1

Thank you for your question.  First of all, congratulations to your plastic surgeon for doing such a beautiful job.  Secondly, there is nothing in the photos that I would be concerned about.  The asymmetry is perfectly within normal range.  Just be patient and do not focus on minor details that don't mean anything at this stage of your healing.

Ruben B. Abrams, MD, FACS

Modest volume asymmetry after breast augmentation is common.

+1

I see nothing in the photographs that is alarming. Minor asymmetries in volume and symptoms are common with breast augmentation. However, it never hurts to check in with your surgeon.

Patients are often surprised that one breast is a little more swollen than the other. It's normal.

+1

Those pains you feel can be pretty distressing.  Plastic surgeons get calls from worried patients all the time.  But they are normal.  The nerves have been irritated and are sending some weird signals.  Gradually this goes away.  One breast always seems to swell a little more than the other and bruise a little more (not always the same breast).  Yes they do seem to heal at different rates.  Your early result looks good.  I have not seen your before photos.  Often there is some asymmetry in nipple position to start with.  Don't expect them to be completely symmetrical.  You need to give the breasts much more time.  They really take about three months to assume their postoperative shape.  So just be patient.  If you want to look at breasts at various times, you can check out this section of my website.

Eric Swanson, MD
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

Concerns After Surgery?

+1

Thank you for your question and photograph.  Your pictures look like a very good early result.  It will be 6 months before your breasts settle into their final shape.  Remeber the old saying that breasts are more like sisters than identical twins. I predict your result will be all that you hope for!

Mary Lee Peters, MD

Hematoma? after breast surgery?

+1

From your photos, it looks like you have a very nice result.  Perfect symmetry is impossible. Solely from the photos, it does not look like you have a hematoma.

+1

Seems like a very even result! Best to be seem=n in person by your surgeon for a full examination for this issue.