I'm Two Weeks Post Lasik and Going on a Cruise, if I Go on Deck at Night Without Glasses Do I Need to Worry About my Flap?

Post LASIK cruise

+1

I am assuming that you are worried about possible windy conditions aboard a ship.  The flap will be secure enough after 2 weeks that wind would not be a concern although dust or other airborne debris might irritate your eyes.

If the wind on the deck is strong enough at night that it would bother your eyes, you should stay indoors.  If your eyes feel comfortable, you would be fine.  Enjoy the cruise.

San Francisco Ophthalmologist

Time for the flap to heal

+1

LASIK flaps generally do not move without substantial trauma after one week.  I discourage patients from riding a motorcycle without goggles for the first week.  I suggest to avoid swimming for two weeks to prevent infection.  By the end of two weeks, there are few other restrictions other than limiting UV exposure by wearing sunglasses during the day.

Chicago Ophthalmologist

Flap dislcations after LASIK

+1

your flap should be pretty much secure after 2 weeks, most flap dislocations happen before 2 weeks, you should not play any contact sports, however, as then the flap may come back up and you will be on a cruise ship, or if you do so i would wear sports goggles, like the kind james worthy used to wear in the NBA

also don't swim in the ocean with your eyes open, that's not so great for your cornea

also wear sunglasses when in the bright sun as excessive UV rays in the immediate postop period can be harmful

other than that, you should be fine

i just am curious: i don't mind answering complicated questions that a person's surgeon cannot understand, as i own a tertiary-care, referral practice exclusively devoted to refractive surgery, and i did do a fellowship in corneal transplantation and refractive surgery

however, this is a question any surgeon can answer, so did your surgeon not answer fully, or did you just not ask him/her directly?:)

New York Ophthalmologist