I Am Two Weeks Op Post Tummy Tuck and Muscle Repair. I Am Still Not Standing Straight, Normal? (photo)

I am two weeks post op from full tummy tuck and muscle repair. I still can not stand straight. The skin on my hips and above my belly button to breast is so tight it feel like it will rip off.... I have two kids 2 and 3 and I am walking like a old lady???

It should be getting better

+1

I usually tell my patients that they may feel like they cannot stand up straight during the first week but this should slowly resolve during the second week.  It might be that you are taking a little longer to get there.  Have your plastic surgeon take a look at you to make sure but I suspect that the combination of time, wearing your abdominal binder, and slowly starting to stand up straight should result in improvement over the next few days to a week.

Dr Repta

Yes it can be completely normal but checck with your surgeon!

+1

The recovery time after full abdominoplasty with liposuction varies from patient to patient. Most patients feel great within a week, being ab;e to return to work but full exercise. For some patients like you it takes longer to feel and walk “normal” again. Everything feels tight as it should so fresh after the procedure. That is why standing straight is a problem for some patients..  The pain will go away soon and you will be able to walk normal and without leaning forward. Try some light walking and avoid long periods of time without any  movement. It should feel better any day but check with your surgeon

Gregory Turowski, MD, PhD

Standing up straight after tummy tuck.

+1

It is interesting that this issue of standing up straight or not is such a frequent question.  The question next to yours by another person, wanted to know if it is normal to be able to stand upright in only two weeks post op.

The answer is that everyone is different.  If a patient is well, then proceed cautiously within the limits given by your surgeon.  Avoid strenous exercise for a number of weeks.  Always call your Doctor for advise.   

H. Michael Roark, MD

Standing After a Tummy Tuck

+1

At 2 weeks after your procedure, you should be standing normally, but it depends upon the amount of skin removed.  This should continue to improve, but the third picture you submitted appears to be quite swollen and mildly red. I would watch this closely to make sure you dont have sings of infection. Stay in close contact with your doctor to ensure you progress to an ideal outcome. 

Vincent Marin, MD

Vincent P. Marin, MD

Standing up after a tummy tuck

+1

It is very common to take a few weeks to be able to stand up fully after a tummy tuck.  Each patient is different, but  I commonly see patients taking 10-14 days before they are able to stand completely straight.  Some people take longer.   Try to be patient and realize that you will make steady progress and will then be able to enjoy your new tummy.  Good luck.

Eric T. Emerson, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck

+1

This is very common and I often hear patients worry that they will come apart if they stand straight. If sewn together properly this will not happen. It is a gradual process and you should get more upright with time. Make sure to check with your surgeon.

Michael Hueneke, MD

Tummy Tuck Recovery?

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures.

Congratulations on your recent procedure.

Yes it is very  “normal”  to not be able to stand straight 2 weeks out of your tummy tuck surgery. Most of my patients begin  to stand straight about 1 month after surgery. I think that staying in the flexed position and “walking like a old lady” will help keep tension off the suture line.

Other words of advice you may find helpful....

Be patient with the healing process, understanding that it will take several weeks to months to feel “normal” again. It may also take many months/year to see the end results of your surgery.

Be prepared to distract your mind with things of interest such as books, magazines, and movies.

Expect less of yourself; do not go back to work, school or chores too early and let others take care of you (for a change).

Resume all medications that you were using preoperatively when cleared by your plastic surgeon and stop the use of narcotics and sedatives as soon as feasible after surgery.

Keep in mind the end results as you go through the tougher emotional times after your surgery.