I'm Two Weeks out of Lower Abdominal Liposuction and Have Resuming my Workouts. Moderate Swelling in Legs Normal?

I had lower abdominal liposuction 2 weeks ago and feel good, I have been resuming my normal workout routine of spin with light work on the elliptical. I am starting to notice moderate swelling in my legs, is this edema? I'm trying to take it easy with the exercise but am unsure of how much is too much and what is the timeline to where I can start running again. Also a friend who had lipo as well suggested a mild diuretic for the swelling..? Could this have caused more swelling?

Leg swelling after lipo

+4

Thank you for the question. It is always a concern when a patient develops leg swelling after surgery. You need to communicate your concerns with your plastic surgeon. And preferably arrange to see him/ her. Would not recommend using diuretics.

Swelling in Legs

+2

Yes, this could occur and all swelling goes down hill, which would be from your stomach into your legs. Normally most of it will resolve after 6 weeks, although it can take a little longer. All of it should be resolved  by 3 months.

John S. Poser, MD

Swelling In Legs After Liposuction

+2

Hello. Swelling in the legs could be a normal reaction to the liposuction procedure, but you need to check your physician to make sure you do not have blood clots in the legs.

Jaime Perez, MD
Liposuction Specialist
Plastic Surgery Center of Tampa

Jaime Perez, MD

Leg swelling very normal 2 weeks after liposuction

+1

Having leg swelling and bruising even 2 weeks after liposuction is very normal and you should not worry.  Like gravity, everything "moves downhill" and even when work was not actually maybe done on the thighs it is not unusual for swelling from liposuction about the abdomen to "move down" into the thighs.  Don't worry.  This will improve. Making sure you're wearing some post operative compression garments would also be helpful. 

James F. Boynton, MD, FACS