Two Recently Crowned Teeth Need Root Canals?

I recently got two crown lengthing/crowns. I waited a month between the lengthening and crown. It's two weeks later and I'm still throbbing in pain. It's hyper sensitive to cold. Now he says I need a root canal, without even looking in my mouth. I'm suspicious that two teeth suddenly need canals and suspect the process. These new crowns are all ceramic (not metal on ceramic) and I read the cement used might be the issue. I'm leaning towards getting a second opinion.

Pain after two recently cemented crowns

+2

Often the teeth can experience the increased sensitivity after cementation of any crown. It can be caused by previous preparation of the tooth, leakage under the temporary crown, possible infection. But in your case it sounds more like this also can be triggered by crown lengthening as well. The zone apical to the cemento-enamel junction can be extremely sensitive and react to cold. You should definitely ask for 2nd opinion and clear the actual reasons for the throbbing pain.

Miami Cosmetic Dentist

This might be a simple high bite

+2

Your symptoms indicate that the bite is too high on the new crowns. Have your doctor double check that with you sitting up in the chair, not lying back. And also bite on the marking paper and slide forward.

But also realize that if a tooth is damaged enough that it needs a root canal, there has already been a great deal of stress on the nerve and the crown could just be the last straw.

Dr. Sue Wendling

Sue Wendling, DMD
Portland Cosmetic Dentist

Hypersensitive teeth

+2

Dear Sir,

It is very difficult to go through what you are going through.  Sometimes these things just happen.  It is very frustrating for us as dentists as we don't want our patients to suffer unnecessarily or be in pain - it's not a good practice builder as we say.  I can relay a story of my own tooth.  I had a crown done (No crown lengthening) and then when the permanent crown went on - pain.  I had a root canal done by a root canal specialist I refer to.  It failed and I had to get the tooth extracted and replaced with an implant.  I had the implant placed by a periodontist and he didn't put it in completely straight.  SO here I am, a dentist, connected to highly experienced and credentialed specialists and things don't turn out ideal.  

A second opinion is OK.  But don't do it just because your mad at the outcome.  Sometimes things don't always work out.  The body will react and do undesired ways sometimes - it just happens.

Lawrence Singer, DMD
Washington Cosmetic Dentist

Crown and Root Canals whats the deal?

+2

Mark,

Every time a tooth is traumatized by either decay, physical trauma, a filling placed, a crown prepared the nerve gets traumatized.  It takes some time for most nerves to recover from the trauma inflicted by dental procedures, including bonding a crown. 

Sometime, rarely, the nerve does not fully recover and gets inflamed and this sounds like what you are experiencing.  A root canal may be need on one or both those teeth.  Sometimes the hypersensitivity may resolve but this is up to your dentist to determine.

Hope this helps,

Dr. Dan Hagi

Dan Hagi, DDS
Toronto Cosmetic Dentist

If teeth hurt after porcelain crowns are bonded

+2

Teeth have live nerves that  can get agitated  when friction, drilling, decay, bacteria, and contaminants gets near it.  Teeth will become sensitive and may need root canal any time you work on them.  The more severe and aggressive the treatment the higher chance of root canal .

You mentioned teeth STILL throb  after two weeks. When did it first began?  after the crown lengthening? After teeth were prepped? after cementation?

Crown lengthening can cause super sensitivity to cold, but the throbbing goes away as soon as the cold agent ( cold water, cold food) is gone. If you have constant pain to cold, one that you have a cold drink, pain starts and it does NOT go away  unless you take medicine , you'll most probably need a root canal. If you tap on your teeth and it hurts all the way up under your nose , you'll probably need root canal.

So, first see a root canal specialist , if you do not need root canal, then rebonding and desensitizing the teeth due to crown lengthening will work.  

good luck

Soheyla Marzvaan, DDS
Orange County Cosmetic Dentist

+2

No one is ever too excited to hear the words,"root canal". Sometimes they are necessary, even in cosmetic dentistry.  You may  want to ask your questions to your dentist before getting too involved with other opinions. He may be able to clarify what's going on. Make sure they know how concerned you are and how much pain you are having. 

Teeth can be much more sensitive after crown lengthening. If so he can give you some tips on reducing the sensitivity. If it's immediately after the crowns were cemented, then it could also be caused by your bite pressure.

If old crowns were removed and replaced, then these teeth may have already had extensive damage and crowning them again can irritate the nerves. If the work was deep at the start, then throbbing pain can point to a nerve problem and the need for a root canal.

Don't delay in your follow up, it can get worse.

If you need another opinion, then visit an Endodontist (rather than a dentist who does root canals), they are the specialists in root canals.  

Scott Greenhalgh, DDS
Denver Cosmetic Dentist

Recent crowns that need root canals

+2

Without examining the teeth there is no way to properly diagnose your problem.  Many things can cause the symptoms you are describing.  If it is only a cold sensitive issue, there may be exposed part of the root that will need to be addressed and likely it would not need a root canal.  I agree with Dr. Frey, many times bonding an all ceramic crown improperly can cause an issue.  The true test is to get a second opinion from another dentist or visit a root canal specialist (Endodontist).  I hope this helps.

Andrew Soulimiotis, DMD, FAGD
Atlanta Cosmetic Dentist

I feel your pain.......

+2

Is it waking you up at night?? is it a pain level of 9 out of 10? if you answered yes to both of these then the possibly of a root canal is in your future.  Hard to know without  seeing you and having the proper diagnostic's.

If its a lower level of pain I would suggest waiting for a week or two and see if the teeth settle down. There is a slight possibly that the cement or the way it was cemented is a problem yet, over time they most offen  they will claim down.  All the best!

dr douglas hauck

Douglas J. Hauck, DDS
Newport Beach Cosmetic Dentist

Two recently crowns need root canal

+2

It could be a list of many factors and without seeing an x-ray and doing a clinical exam, any dentist is just guessing.  If its an all ceramic crown, it could be  poorly bonded on.  Bonding is an extremely technique sensitive procedure and any moisture or conataminant that gets under the crown could potentially cause sensitivity. If you take your finger nail and press into the crown and you get a slight zinger, its mostly a bonding problem.  If thats what it is, my advice is to have the crowns taken off and re-done.  Sometimes the sensitivity will go away on its own but that can take up to a year. Make sure your dentist is properly trained when it comes to bonding restorations.  Good luck. 
Dr. David Frey

David S. Frey, DDS
Beverly Hills Cosmetic Dentist

Recently crowned teeth that need endodontics

+2

You should definitely get a second opinion from a board certified endodontist (root canal specialist). The sensitivity could have to do with the amount of preparation (drilling) done on the teeth in making the crowns, or due to the bonding (cementing) process, or due to the current occlusion (the way the top and bottom teeth hit each other). First get the endodontist's opinion, and then have your bite evaluated.

Jay Neuhaus, DDS
New York Cosmetic Dentist