Post Breast Lift/Implant. When Can I Wear Underwire Bra, and the Most Effective Treatment for Scars?

I had a full lift with implants when is it ok to wear a underwire bra and also and what has been found to be the most effective product or treatment for the scars. I have seen a product called SCARprin not sure if it is effective. So far I have been using silicone strips. My profile does has pictures.

Under wire bra after breast surgery

+2

I usually allow my patients to wear an underwire bra 6 weeks or so after surgery, once everything has healed.

Underwire bra and scar treatment

+1
In general, I recommend wearing underwire bras only until after the first 2 months of surgery. If you find that they're uncomfortable, then you should avoid wearing them because your body is telling you that it hurts. The underwire may be improperly shaped. If you want to wear underwire bras, try having a custom bra fitting to see if you can find something that's more comfortable. You can also wear wireless bras, as many types provide plenty of support.

The problem with wearing underwire bras shortly after surgery is that it can cause unnecessary complications. These complications include irritation caused by the wire rubbing against the skin (something that you may not notice due to possible numbness). Patients who have an infra-mammary incision should be especially careful as an underwire bra is capable of displacing the implants if it is worn too often or too soon. 

Regarding scar treatment, silicone sheeting has helped my patients. You can also try a topical silicone cream like Dermatix.

Please ask your surgeon for their advice regarding both of your questions as they may have different guidelines/suggestions.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Underwire Bra Post Breast Surgery

+1

I recommend that you continue to use the silicone strips, as it is one of the best options for scar treatment. However I would never recommend an underwire bra with implants because of the possibility of rupturing. An underwire bra will hold the implant to tightly and too close to the body allowing minimal movement. This is not a good combination because we want the implant to move enough as to not cause a capsular contraction.

Scott Loessin, MD
Key West Plastic Surgeon

Bra type and scar management.

+1

The questions about which bra is best should be reserved for your surgeon. They likely have very specific requirements for you. The most effective scar management is time. Ways to hasten scar improvement include massage, silicone sheeting, and moisturizers with sunscreen.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon