About Two Months Ago I Had Mohs Surgery on my Upper Arm. I Now Have a Small Round Scap on the Scar Area is That a Problem?

Post Mohs Surgery Scab

+1

Thank you for your question. If a scab is still present this long after surgery, it is likely that the wound needs further healing and treatment with an emollient-like barrier treatment such as Vaseline or Aquaphor. A scab should be avoided, and the healing wound should be allowed to heal with a moist, clean environment, and healing will occur more quickly. Think of the cells of a healing wound migrating from the neighboring normal and uncompromised tissue, and needing to slide into place or over the nearby cells to enter the wounded tissue area and ultimately form new skin in the wound. It is easier to "slide into place" if the area is moist, vs if it is dry. Remember to keep the area clean, with soap and water once or twice daily, or as directed by your physician. I hope this helps.

Bay Area Dermatologist

Small protruding bump after Mohs surgery

+1

It sounds like you have a suture that was used under the skin, protruding up from underneath, which creates a small bump. It would be best to see the physician who performed your Mohs for an evaluation of the area.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

Non-Healing Area in Skin Cancer Scar

+1

There are a number of reasons why there would be a scab within a scar 3 months after Mohs surgery. Sometimes a buried suture will extrude if it works its way to the surface of the skin. That is called suture extrusion or suture spitting. There could be an infection or there could be some persistence of skin cancer at the site. Your best option is to see the doctor who performed the surgery and have him or her examine the site. Good luck.

Andrew Kaufman, MD