I Had Two Moles Removed (Shave Biopsy) from my Lower Back and the Scars Protrude More Than the Moles Did. Why, & What Can I Do?

The two moles were not suspected to be cancerous, but increased in size over a decade (I'm now 28) to the point that they were irritated by clothing (zipped up in dresses before, etc). The shave biopsies were kept covered for at least a week, instructions followed (cleaning, sun exposure) but after 6 weeks, the scars are more raised than the moles were - and have a larger footprint - not to mention they're much darker. Is this normal? What can I do? The treatment exacerbated my initial problem.

Plato's Scar Serum for hypertrophic scars

+1
Our office specializes in scar treatment. One of the earliest therapies for scars is the application of topical creams such as the Plato's Medicinals Scar Serum to reduce hypertrophy. 

Raffy Karamanoukian MD FACS

Mole removal by this technique (shave biopsy) will often times create scar tissue

+1

Lesion removal via shave biopsy or punch biopsy will quite often create scar tissue rising above the level of the skin. Depending on your skin type, position on the body, and sun exposure the cells repairing this tissue (fibroblasts) will continue cross linking collagen until the body "fills in" the defect. Since the excision was around the lesion, the repair is usually a larger diameter. UV exposure even wearing a T-shirt (spf 5) can cause hyper (increased) pigmentation. The treatments for your scars include a series of steroid injections usually 6-8 weeks apart and I have also found laser treatments afterward help to continue to reduce the size of the scar. Pigmentation problems are best treated with sun and UV radiation avoidance for over 6 months after treatments along with Retin-A and Hydroquinone (bleaching cream). I hope this helps outline a treatment plan. M.Lyons, MD

Michael B. Lyons, MD, FACS
Mobile Facial Plastic Surgeon