Two Doctors, Gave Me Two Different Numbers of Grafts to Be Implanted. Which One Should Consider is Right?

one told me that can do 3000 grafts in a single sessions, the other doctor told me he could only do 1500 (only the front of my head) as he said there isnt enough hair on the back of my head to do the full head on top. And i would need 2 sessions each 1500 to get 3000 grafts in one year period. And now im lost I do not know which doctor should i do the procedure with.

How many hair transplant grafts needed?

+2

The question should be how many hair follicles do you need? I understand that you got two different answers, one being 3000 graft and the other 1500 grafts. How many hair follicles were in each graft? The first may have been talking about 3000 single follical grafts and the other may have meant 2500 multiple (1 to 4) grafts which would be close to the same number of follicles and thus hairs. You should clarify this with the doctors.

Using FUE from strips can easily yield 3000 grafts, but using non-strip automated FUE such as the NeoGraft usually yields a maximum of 2000 to 2200 graft each with from 1 to 4 hairs. Two thousand grafts would yield about 3500 follicles.

Most important is the skill of the transplanter and how the hairs are inserted into the recipient areas. If not placed in the proper direction, it won't look natural or as thick. This is critical. Also designing the hairline takes lots of experience to look natural.  No one wants the old corn row look anymore. So, skill and experience is the true key ingredient for an excellent result.

To assess your needs would require a consult, either Skype, email and photos or a personal examination.

Good luck with this. A properly performed hair transplant can be a most gratifyiing procedure.

Savannah Plastic Surgeon

Graft ranges in hair transplantation

+2

It's not really possible to tell you who is right in this instance because that would require an in-person consultation.  At that time, we'd look at the density of hairs and scalp flexibility in the donor region.  In general, we like doing more grafts as it allows us to increase the density in treated areas.  3000 grafts in a single session is a nice number of grafts and is possible pending your donor site density, etc.  You are always welcomed back to your doctor's office for a 2nd visit to ask your follow up questions generated from the first visit.  Best of luck to you. 

Allan J. Parungao, MD
Oak Brook Plastic Surgeon

How Many Grafts to Use in Hair Transplant

+1

In this case, neither doctor is particularly “right,” as each surgeon will do what he/she thinks best per individual case. Possibly varying on the technique, skill, clinic, tools, staff, etc. one doctor feels he/she can safely and effectively do 1500 grafts in one session while the other puts you at 3000.

Choice of surgeon really lies in the question of results. Look to prior patients’ before/after photos and videos as well as patient testimony to get an idea of which doctor is the right choice for you. Typically, the more experience a surgeon has, the better.

Sanusi Umar, MD
Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Hair grafting

+1

Follicular grafts vary greatly as to whether 1 to 4 hairs are in each graft, and the placement and density can vary based on this difference.  It is very common to see an average strip of hair from the posterior scalp yield upwards of 3000 grafts.  I generally feel that more grafts taken at one time will give a better result once transplanted to a deficient area of the scalp than to do this over two or more sessions.  If there is a small number of usable grafts, however, this is entirely a different story.

Good luck to you.

Frank Rieger M.D.

Francis (Frank) William Rieger, MD

How many grafts?

+1

So many factors are involved in making these estimates of graft numbers. I assume both doctors are using follicular unit grafts from strip harvesting. In general, I like to do as many grafts possible at the first session in a particular area. However so much depends on the age of the patient, the family history and the reality of the expectations along with the experiences and capabilities of the surgeon and his assistants.  If FUE is the source of donor hair then the lower number is more realistic.  

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD
Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon