Twisted Tip After Primary Rhinoplasty. Do I Have to Wait A Year To Fix? (photo)

I had rhinoplasty on May 24th to remove a dorsal hump and reduce a bulbous tip. The hump is almost completely gone - great. However... the lower part of my nose, the tip and the area right above it, seems to twist to the left. This may be partially due to more carteledge having been removed on the left side than the right. My nose has always been sort of twisted, but now it seems shaped like a banana and is MUCH more noticeable. Is this permament? Will I have to wait a YEAR to fix this? =worried

It is safest to wait one year before having a revision tip rhinoplasty

Hello Anne from Belgium,

It can take the tip up to one year to soften enough to safely undergo revision.  There is no medical reason to have surgery earlier than that.  One risk of early revision surgery may be that the postoperative scarring might become aggressive.  Patients who have tip deflections like yours have a high risk of re-deflecting with time because of memory in the septal cartilage.  Additionally, there is often a small skin shortage on the side of the deflection that causes pulling away from the midline.  The septal cartilage memory and the skin shortage have to be managed during and after revision surgery to provide you with the best chance for keeping a "straight" nose after surgery.
Good luck,
Dr. Shah

Crooked tip after Rhinoplasty

Dear Anne,

I am sorry that you are frustrated. The quick answer to your question is that NORMALLY, YOU DO NOT have to wait one year to undergo a revision procedure.

However, every patient heals differently. So, it is recommended that when you almost reach final results that a revision could be planned at its best.

Please keep in mind that revisions are of a delicate nature and the best results are provided by surgeons of ample experience.

Thank you for your inquiry and for the photographs.

The best of luck to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

Twisted Tip After Primary Rhinoplasty. Do I Have to Wait A Year To Fix?

AS seen on photo you should seek revision within 6 months as an option. But you need to discuss with your chosen rhinoplasty surgeon.