Will I Be Turned Down for Being a Type I Diabetic?

I have a possible hernia/diastasis. I just had my 4th child via C-Section and am now experiencing quite a bulge. I want it to be corrected but unsure if it is the correct thing to do... I was told that it can be cured by exercising and I want to do the right thing making my health a priority. Please help!

Diabetes alone will not prevent tummy tuck

+2

A significant hernia or diastasis can improve after pregnancy and it can pay to wait six months or more before you decide. Most often diastasis will persist, and diabetes alone will not prevent you from having a repair. Coordination with your primary care physician helps you through a safe procedure and recovery.

Will I Be Turned Down for Hernia or Diastasis Being a Type I Diabetic?

+2

Diabetes alone will not be reason to turn you down for a procedure. You may need to be cleared by your regular doctor first. 

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS
Ohio Plastic Surgeon

Diabetes and tummy tuck

+2

As long as your blood sugar is under tight control your a reasonable candidate for a tummy tuck.

cheers

David Shifrin, MD

Diabetes and Tummy Tuck

+1
Thank you for your post. Diabetes is a disease that should demand a healthy respect from both surgeon and patient in plastic surgery. It is a disease that affects the immune system and can increase the risk of infection, a disease that affects the healing potential of a wound and can cause opening of a wound, and is a disease of the circulation that can lower the blood flow to the operated tissue and cause necrosis or tissue death. This needs to be managed as follows:

1. Tight blood glucose control with diet, exercise, and medication. You need to see your internal medicine doctor regularly and make sure your diabetes is well controlled.
2. If you are overweight, then losing weight decreases your risk in tummy tuck surgery or any other surgery for that matter.
3. If you have high blood pressure, this needs to be managed and well controlled by your internal medicine doctor as well.
4. ABSOLUTELY NO SMOKING!
5. Consider with your surgeon HyperBaric Oxygen therapy pre- and post-op.
6. Make sure you understand from your surgeon and anesthisiologist what medications you should take or not take prior to surgery.

It is very possible to have a great outcome as a diabetic following tummy tuck surgery, but minimizing the risk is the most rational way of accomplishing this.

Best Wishes,
Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Type I diabetes and abdominoplasty

+1

As along as your diabetes is under control you will do fine with an abdominoplasty.  You will have to manage your insulin requirements more closely in the first two weeks after surgery and your glucose levels may fluctuate.  Prior to surgery have your physician who manages your diabetes advise you and help with after care. 

Tummy Tuck with Diabetes

+1

You are still a great candidate for a tummy tuck.  We just need to take precaution with your diabetes.  I would recommend letting your endocrinologist know that you are considering surgery and let them optimize and clear you for the procedure.    Tight glycemic control will be paramount in obtaining a great result with minimal risk.   I wish you a safe recovery and fantastic result.

Paul S. Gill, MD