Rotated Anatomical Breast Implant?

Before surgery I did not have any asymmetry with my breasts. Right after surgery I noticed that my right breast sat much higher and was more swollen than the left. Now at a month Post Op my right breast has still yet to drop like the left and the shape is also different. It is not as round or heavy at the bottom. My concern is that it has rotated. The Implant Style used was Natrelle 410 Anatomical MX 255g Under the Muscle, as I didn't have much breast tissue.

Anatomical Breast Implant Rotation?

+2

Thank you for the question and picture.

Given the degree of breast asymmetry ( size) it will be in your best interests to follow your plastic surgeon to rule out complications.

One of the known problems/complications associated with “anatomical” breast implants is the possibility of shifting/rotation of the breast implant.  This rotation of breast implant may cause the breast shape to change,  potentially necessitating further surgery to correct.  For this reason, and with the goal of minimizing complications and need for further surgery, I prefer the use of round implants for almost all patients.

If revisionary surgery ever does become necessary ( for whatever reason)  consider the use of round breast implants.

PHOTO: Rotated anatomic breast implant augmentation surgery

+1

IT appears that there is more going on other than a rotated anatomic implant. IT appears the right in the photograph appears larger. Ultrasound may help diagnose a fluid collection such as a hematoma or seroma 

Rotated Anatomical Breast Implant

+1

Regarding: "Rotated Anatomical Breast Implant?   Before surgery I did not have any asymmetry with my breasts. Right after surgery I noticed that my right breast sat much higher and was more swollen than the left. Now at a month Post Op my right breast has still yet to drop like the left and the shape is also different. It is not as round or heavy at the bottom. My concern is that it has rotated. The Implant Style used was Natrelle 410 Anatomical MX 255g Under the Muscle, as I didn't have much breast tissue."

Anatomic (or Tear Drop) breast implants were all the rage in the early and mid-1990's with many prominent Plastic surgeons promoting them as THE solution for some of the weaknesses, real or imagined, seen with round implants. In my own defense, I must admit that I was an early convert to this way of thinking and used such implants.

As our experience with these implants grew, it became apparent that their advantages were over-blown and their own shortcomings (higher leak rate, more rippling and a tendency to rotate off the axis in which they were placed) were significant. As a result, many of us rarely if ever use anatomical breast implants, except in certain situations.

While it is true that with time the swelling will subside and allow your doctor to see what happened, I think you need to be examined now and potentially have an ultrasound or another test to rule out either a fluid collection or a blood collection. Textured shell implants (such as yours) do NOT readily drop and you may require additional surgery to lower the implant, place it in a proper orientation or evacuate a fluid or blood collection.

Dr. Peter Aldea

Breast assymetry after augmentation.

+1

I have to assume that you took this picture in a mirror, because it appears that your left breast is much larger in the picture. I would assume that your larger breast either has a hematoma or seroma. This can usually be detected on examination, but not always.
I would recommend you be evaluated by your surgeon and get their opinion.

Daniel P. Markmann, MD

Anatomic implants

+1

I do not like anatomic implants because of the concerns that you have with regards to possible rotation.  You should speak with your surgeon and get evaluated.

Problems with anatomical implants

+1

When the anatomicals began to be used for augmentation, suddenly the revision rates went up for implants that didn't stay put like their neighbor and looked very different as a result.  Most of us have gone back to rounds for that reason plus the fact that they look teardrop shaped when standing up.  You are too early to know the final result but your photo does concern me that you might need a revision.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Anatomcal breast implants

+1

One of the risks of shaped implants is that they could rotate or that the placement is not exactly the same on both sides. Having said that, you are only one month after surgery. I would wait until all swelling is gone, usually about 2-3 months after surgery before evaluating.  Also many patients believe they had "no differences" before surgery. It would be instructive to go back and look at your before pictures and re-analyze them for differences.  Keep your doctor informed. They are your best advocate!

Francisco Canales, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Rotated anatomical breast implant?

+1

From your picture you appear to have a more rounded Left breast as compared to your Right. The Right breast appears not to have much swelling and the outline of the implant is visible. On the Left side you may have some fluid around the implant that is giving it the more rounded appearance. I would recommend that you go back to your surgeon and discuss your concerns. It is certainly possible for an anatomic implant to turn but without an examination it will impossible to answer this question.

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD